- Current students
Senior Lecturer - Social Practice, School of Healthcare and Social Practice
School of Healthcare and Social Practice
Aotearoa New Zealand Association of Social Workers (ANZASW)
Professional and Industry Experience
- 2004 - 2010, Treasurer IASSW
- 1996 - 2004, Chairperson, Aotearoa New Zealand Association of Social Work Education
- 1992 - 2002, Head of School, Unitec School of Community Studies
- 1997 - 2010, Board member International Association of Schools of Social Work (IASSW)
- 1992 -1993, Member of NZCETTS Working party on RPL
- 1990 -1991, Self Employed Consultant
- 19,90 National COGS Committee
- 1984 -1991, Director, Friendship House, Manukau City, Auckland
- 1988 -1989, Chair, South Auckland COGS Committee
- 1982 -1983, Community Adviser, Methodist Central Mission, Auckland
- 1977 -1982, Community Adviser, Waite Mata City, Auckland
- 1979 Past National Chair, Community Volunteers.
Areas of Research Interest
- The impact of the free market on Church social services
- Church-State relations
- The links between social practice and theology
- The political activities of social workers
- Human Rights and Community Development.
Graduate supervision of completed theses/dissertations
Masters theses or dissertations
Masters theses or dissertations supervised by Gavin Rennie as Principal Supervisor
Chanthavong, Thongkham (2015). Assessing perceived well-being and safety of a Lao rural community in Nakai, Khammouane province as a result of completed unexploded ordnance (UXO) clearance and risk education activities (Master of Social Practice)
Chanhthamaly, Lalongkone (2015). A study of the effectiveness of international non-governmental organisation capacity building activities for the Lao government at national, sub- national and local levels to be prepared to handle natural disasters in Laos (Master of Social Practice)
Masters theses or dissertations supervised by Gavin Rennie as Associate Supervisor
Sykes, Vicki (2015). Business acquisition in the community sector in New Zealand (Master of Social Practice)
Meima, Yolanda (2014). An evaluation of a New Zealand safe@home service : using a crime prevention approach to enhance the safety and overall well-being for high risk victims of domestic violence (Master of Social Practice)
Rennie, G., and Tunnicliffe, C. (2014). Just Practice: An educative paradigm for social change. IASSW/IFSW/Joint conference on social work education and social development, Melbourne, Austrailia, 9-12 July,.
Epston, D., Rennie, G., and Napan, K. (2012). On becoming a just practitioner: experimenting with the final paper of an undergraduate programme as a rite of passage, in:
Epston, D. (2012). Down under et up over: Voyages en therapie narrative. (B. Arnaud, P. Blanc-Sahnoun, C. Crettenand, P. Godard, C. Levejac, C. Mengelle, P. Nassif, V. Steiner & M. Voisin-Blanc, Trans.). Editions de la Fabrique Narrative (pp. 141-166). Retrieved from: http://www.lulu.com/shop/david-epston/down-under-et-up-over/paperback/product-20374450.html (Original work published 2008).
Epston, D., Rennie, G., and Napan, K. (2008). On becoming just a practitioner: Experimenting with the final paper of an undergraduate programme as rite of passage. Bowen, B. (Ed), Down under and up over: Travels with Narrative Therapy. Warrington, UK: Association of Family Therapy.
Napan, K., and Rennie, G. (2008). Higher education or education for hire - examining possible ways of recovering higher education from mediocrity. Critical Thoughts: Recovering Higher Education Conference, Wellington.
Gray, M., and Rennie, G. (2007). International social work: Bodies with organs. Social Work Review (Vol. 19 (2)).