- Current students
Study Abroad - Outbound Exchange
As a degree student, you can complete part of your programme in Europe, America, Asia, or Australia. Wherever you go, you’ll only pay your regular Unitec tuition fees, and you’ll still get your StudyLink allowance. It won’t increase the length of your studies and you can even cross-credit eligible courses to your programme here in NZ.
Reasons to study overseas with Unijet
- Experience life in another country
- Study at an internationally recognised partner institution
- Spend one or two semesters abroad
- Make new friends
- Enhance your CV
- Cross-credit eligible courses to your degree
- Continue receiving your StudyLink allowance
- No extension to the length of your programme
- Open to domestic AND international students
See the world while you study
Unitec has partner institutions all over the world and where you go is up to you. Learn a new language, immerse yourself in an ancient city, or snowboard all semester long. Check out the countries you could study in the list below and get excited by the possibilities!
Countries (click to expand)
- United States of America
- Austria Germany
- United Kingdom
The inside scoop on studying abroad
Hear from Desmond Lam, a Bachelor of Architecture student, who spent a Semester in Germany. Listen to his experiences and highlight of his trips.
How do I apply (click to expand)
Follow the steps below to apply for the Outbound programme.
STEP 1 - Check eligibility
Study Abroad and Exchange (Outbound) programme is open to domestic and international students and is available for most degree programmes. There are a few criteria you need to meet before you can apply.
To be accepted, you need to:
- Be enrolled in a full-time Unitec degree programme
- Have completed at least 2 semesters at Unitec with a minimum B grade average
- Be at an appropriate level of study as determined by your department
- Demonstrate a high standard of spoken and written English
- Demonstrate that you will be a good ambassador for Unitec and New Zealand
STEP 2 - Identify potential host institutions
Research and identify at least one partner institute you hope to study at. A list of partner institutes can be found above. You will need to research the courses offered at the partner institute and identify courses that are relevant to your Unitec degree. You should seek advice from your Programme Leader when choosing your courses.
STEP 3 - Apply
Fill in and submit the Unijet Outbound Exchange application form. Download the referee form, fill out part one of the form and ask your referee to fill out part two and email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also start discussing course approvals with your Programme Leader, using this form.
Get in quick! Applicants are selected against the criteria above. We reserve the right to refuse entry to the programme.
STEP 4 - Interview
Once we receive your application and referee form, we will invite you in for an interview, usually in mid-September for semester 1 applicants, and mid-April for semester 2 applicants.
You will be advised of the outcome of your application and the next steps.
- Throughout your exchange programme you’ll be enrolled as a Unitec student and pay tuition fees to Unitec, not to the host university.
- You’ll continue to receive your StudyLink allowance while you’re overseas.
- Most exchange students pay for their travel and living costs through a combination of StudyLink and savings.
- Lots of exchange students live on the university campus. Some of our partner institutions can also help you find accommodation before you arrive.
|Where||Building 110, Mt Albert campus|
|Appointments||Please email to make an appointment|