Study abroad and exchange programme

The study abroad and exchange programme allows you to spend a semester or two studying with us, while earning credits towards your home qualification.

Exchange is available to students who are attending a Unitec exchange partner institution.

If you are a Unitec student wanting to study overseas, see outbound exchange.

Inbound exchange

If your home institution is an exchange partner with Unitec, you may be able to apply as an inbound exchange student. 

To find out if this is an option for you, the first step is to speak with your home International Office. The full application process is outlined below.

Semester dates and deadlines

We have two semester intakes per year for inbound exchange students.

Deadlines for semester 1, 2024

  • Unitec semester 1 dates: 26 February 2024 to 30 June 2024
  • Deadline for home institute to nominate student to Unitec: 2 October 2023
  • Deadline for student to submit Unitec application form (once nomination has been approved by Unitec): 3 November 2023

Deadlines for semester 2, 2024

  • Unitec semester 2 dates: 22 July 2024 to 24 November 2024
  • Deadline for home institute to nominate student to Unitec: 26 February 2024
  • Deadline for student to submit Unitec application form (once nomination has been approved by Unitec): 1 April 2024


Inbound Exchange

No fee payable to Unitec. Tuition fees will need to be paid directly to your home institution, please confirm with them what the fees are.

Study Abroad Inbound Exchange

NZ$12,500 per semester. Please get in touch with us for the discounted we offer to our exchange partners.

Unitec has a quota for accepting inbound exchange students. If the quota is exceeded, you would be a 'Study Abroad Inbound Exchange' student, and the fee would apply. This is a single flat fee, which covers tuition fees for up to 60 credits (usually four courses) and includes the student services fee. 

Some partner institutions may pay these fees on your behalf, please check with your home institution for all associated programme costs and fees.

Entry requirements


We do not require IELTS or TOEFL as a test of English proficiency.

Staff from your home institution need to complete a cover letter confirming your proficiency in English (both written and oral).


Student’s must meet the academic requirements for Unitec’s courses.

There may be additional entry requirements for some courses and these can differ depending on the programme applied for.

Staff from partner institutions need to provide the students’ academic documents, certified, stamped and signed.

Programmes offered for exchange students

The following programmes and courses are available for inbound exchange students, they are all taught in English.

Bachelor programmes

Master programmes

Further information

Academic calendar

Unitec Academic Calendar for 2022 / 2023 - the dates in the calendar are for the General Academic Calendar. When you enrol, the class and Orientation dates will be confirmed.

Some programmes may have different class start dates and Orientation dates, for example, these schools often start before others: School of Architecture, School of Construction, School of Healthcare and Social Practice. 

Inbound exchange application process


If your home institution is an exchange partner with Unitec, you may be able to apply as an inbound exchange student.

Contact your home institution International office, and ask if they will nominate you for an exchange. If your home institution supports your request, a staff member will nominate you to Unitec.

Unitec will then review your nomination, and will let you know by email if your nomination has been accepted or declined.

Nomination form

Unitec Inbound Exchange Nomination Form - to be completed by an approved study abroad and exchange staff member from home institution.

Apply to programme

If your nomination is accepted, you will need to submit an online application to Unitec.

You will need to provide relevant documents, including the learning agreement and English proficiency letter.

How to apply when nomination is accepted

Only follow these instructions when you have received an email from Unitec confirming that your nomination for inbound exchange has been accepted.

  1. Go to the online enrolment portal
  2. Select ‘I am new to Unitec’
  3. Select ‘International’
  4. Select the semester you are applying to come to Unitec on exchange (Semester 1 (Feb/March) or Semester 2 (June/July))
  5. Select ‘Study Abroad and Exchange’
  6. Select ‘Mount Albert Campus’ 
  7. Select Full-time
  8. Create an account to use in accessing the student enrolment portal.

Note: When an offer is emailed to you, you will need to login to your Enrolment Dashboard to accept your offer.

Learning agreement and offer

The Unitec assessment team will assess your application and documentation, and if ok, they will pass this on to a Unitec Academic Programme Manager (APM). 

Download the learning agreement form (PDF 72KB)

The APM then approves or suggests alternative courses (subjects) for you – which you will need your academic advisor to approve.

Once the courses are agreed, your learning agreement is signed by both institutions. 

Once all the courses are approved, and the learning agreement is signed, you will be offered a place to study at Unitec.

You will need to login to your Enrolment Dashboard to accept your offer.

Insurance, visa, accommodation and flights


All international students are required to have Unitec-approved current medical and travel insurance for the duration of your study with us, learn about international insurance.

Student visa

All international students must hold a valid student visa for the duration of their studies, how to apply for your Student Visa


Learn about accommodation options in Auckland.


We recommend that you wait to book your flight until you have received your visa and confirmed move-in dates with your accommodation.

Get ready to travel

Read our pre-departure handbook for International students for more information on what it is like living in Auckland and studying in New Zealand.

We also have information on our website about living and studying in Auckland