We want to make sure student complaints are resolved fairly and promptly through a consistent, formal and easy to follow process.
All complaints raised will be handled in complete confidence. Unitec Managers, Heads of Departments and other staff are trained to manage student complaints, and track them through to a successful resolution. All complaints raised will be handled with complete confidentiality and you will be kept informed at each step in the process.
The Student Complaints Resolution Policy explains when and how to lodge a concern, issue or complaint about any aspect of your experience at Unitec. It’s a safe way to resolve complaints that need to be treated formally.
This policy ensures students can:
- Find clear information about the complaints process.
- Understand the rights and responsibilities of everyone involved (the student, the staff member handling the complaint, any other parties involved).
- Indicate the outcome they would prefer (although this outcome isn’t guaranteed, it gives the staff member dealing with the complaint more information to make a fair decision).
- Find clear information about how to lodge an appeal.
How to make a complaint
If you are a current Unitec student, and you would like to make a complaint about an unhappy experience you've had while studying with us, we’d like to know about it. Please take the time to fill out the Notice of Complaint form.
Other options for students
In some cases the Student Complaint process is not suitable and you need to take a different course of action.
- If your concern involves discrimination, bullying or harassment of any kind from staff or students, you can seek help from an independent Student Advocate. Student Advocates can support you or act on your behalf at any stage of the process.
- For further support you can also contact the Unitec Conciliator.
In the first instance international students can contact the International Office for support on a range of issues.
International students who want to make a complaint can also contact the International Education Appeal Authority, an independent body set up to deal with complaints from international students about pastoral care provided by their educational institution or agent.
Students can contact the International Educational Appeal Authority by writing to:The International Educational Appeal Authority
C/- Ministry of Education
P.O. Box 1666