Our commitment to you

We endeavour to ensure that student complaints are resolved fairly, promptly and through an easy to follow process.  You will be kept informed at each step of the process.

Getting started

Before laying a formal complaint, you must first seek to resolve the issue informally. You can do this by discussing the issue with your Lecturer, Programme Co-ordinator, Academic Programme Manager, Head of School or a Student Support Advisor.

Please take a few moments to read through the information and procedures below

What category does your complaint fall into?

Student Complaint (Non-Academic)

A student complaint covers any area of concern within a student's Unitec experience that is not an Academic complaint. 

Before making a student complaint, please take a few moments to read through our Student Complaints Resolution Policy and Student Complaints Resolution Procedures.

Student Complaints Resolution Policy (PDF, 227KB) »
Student Complaints Resolution Procedures (PDF, 232KB) »

How to make a student complaint

There are two steps to making a complaint:

  1. Download and fill out the Notice of Formal Complaint Form below
  2. Email the form to studentcomplaint@unitec.ac.nz  

Student Notice of Formal Complaint Form (PDF, 140KB) »

We encourage you to seek advice and/or guidance before submitting a formal complaint

How the formal complaint process works

Below outlines the process that happens when your complaint is submitted.

From the submission of your complaint:

  1. The Complaints Administrator will send you an email confirming your complaint has been received.
  2. An Investigator will be assigned to your complaint and they will introduce themselves to you.  
  3. The Investigator, where possible, will arrange a time to meet with you. You are encouraged to bring a support person with you to this meeting.
  4. The Investigator will look into your complaint and will provide you with updates on their progress.
  5. You will receive the decision about your complaint.
  6. At this stage, you can either accept the decision or make an appeal.

For timings and further details about the process, please make sure to read the Student Complaints Resolution Procedures.

Academic Complaint

You can make an Academic Complaint if you have reasonable grounds for thinking that you have suffered an academic disadvantage due to decisions related to your:

  • Final grade
  • The outcome of your Affected Performance Consideration (APC)
  • The award of your qualification
  • Enrolment in or admission to a Programme or Course
  • Progression in a Programme
  • Insufficient demonstration of clinical competence leading to a failure of a course
  • Exclusion from any coursework or assessment

Note: If you are making an academic complaint you must discuss the issue with relevant academic staff in your school before submitting the Academic Complaint

How to make an Academic Complaint

Follow these steps to make an Academic Complaint:

  1. Seek guidance from one of Unitec’s Student Support Advisors
  2. Download and fill out the Academic Complaint form (link)
  3. Supply any additional evidence to support your case
  4. Email the form to resolutions@unitec.ac.nz

Academic Complaint Form (PDF, 140KB) »
Academic Complaints Procedure (PDF, 164KB) » 

How the Academic Complaint process works

  1. You will receive an email acknowledging receipt of the Academic Complaint within 2 working days
  2. An investigator from outside of your School will introduce themselves to you via email
  3. You will receive weekly email updates from the Investigator
  4. You may be asked to a meeting; you may bring a support person
  5. You should receive a decision within 10 working days

Please ensure you reply to all communications from the assigned investigator within 30 calendar days or your Academic Complaint may be withdrawn

Not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint?

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may be able to appeal the decision within 15 working days of receiving the outcome of your complaint if you have grounds to make an appeal.

How to make an appeal

  1. Seek support from the Student Advocate
  2. Download and fill out the Notice of Appeal form
  3. Email the form to resolutions@unitec.ac.nz

Notice of Appeal Form (PDF, KB) »
Student Appeals Procedure (PDF, KB) » 

Grounds for appealing the decision of your Complaint

You must meet one of the following two grounds for your appeal to be considered:         

  1. There is new relevant information which has an impact on the matter and which was previously unavailable. 


       2. There was a procedural flaw* in the management of the process relating to the decision the student seeks to appeal

*Procedural flaw is defined as an error or some other issue with the way the complaint was dealt with OR a breach of a prescribed rule or regulation.

Need advice, support, or guidance?

The following sources of support are available to you regardless of which category your complaint falls into:

Student Support Advisors

Student Support Advisors are available to provide guidance and support around informal and formal complaints.

International Student Advisors

As an International Student, you can seek the support and guidance of your International Student Advisors. You’ll need to make an appointment to see them, visit their page to find out how.

To view all our Policies, visit our Unitec Policies page.