You can apply for a Certificate of Proficiency (COP) when you want to enrol in a single course from a Unitec undergraduate programme. 

You can take a single course without enrolling in a formal qualification, such as a certificate or bachelor programme.

The Certificate of Proficiency is approved on a semester-by-semester basis and is not suitable if you are pursuing a long-term programme of study or seeking the equivalent of full-time study.

Upon completion of a Certificate of Proficiency, you will not be provided with a Certificate.

Courses that can be studied

Only some courses are available to be studied outside of programme enrolment.

You can choose from the extra elective courses, or talk to us to confirm what other courses are available.

How to apply for a COP

Apply now for a COP

  1. Select Domestic or International.
  2. Select your study choice, which needs to be ‘Certificate of Proficiency’.
  3. Select the semester and year of study.
  4. Select campus.
  5. Select Part-time.
  6. Create an account (this is so you can check the status of your application and complete your application tasks).
  7. Complete the application form, entering your contact and educational details.

The application tasks you need to complete are:

For help with these tasks, see how to complete application tasks.


When your application has been processed, we will email you an invoice.

Payment needs to be made at least seven days before the course start date.

Need help

If you have questions or would like help, email