- Current students
- Under 25s
Citizenship or permanent residency documentation
As part of your application to study at Unitec, you need to provide evidence of your legal name, date of birth, and citizenship or permanent residency status in New Zealand.
How to complete this task
Take a colour photo or scan of your document (make sure it is a good copy that is easy to read).
Click ‘Action Needed’ for the ‘Citizenship or Residency Documentation’ task.
Upload the file or photo of your document.
Visit us on campus for help
You can visit us at Student Central on campus (Mt Albert or Waitākere) for help with this task. Bring the original documents with you, and we will scan and upload them for you.
New Zealand citizens and permanent residents
We require a copy of one of these forms of ID:
- A New Zealand birth certificate.
- The photo page of a New Zealand passport.
- A New Zealand certificate of citizenship.
- A passport with a current returning residency class visa (a passport with a visa label).
- A passport, and letter or email, confirming current returning residency class visa (label-less visa, followed by confirmation with Immigration New Zealand, where appropriate).
- A certificate of identity from Immigration New Zealand, if you are a refugee.
- A Cook Islands, Tokelau, or Niue Birth Certificate along with a current New Zealand residency visa.
If you are not able to provide one of the documents above:
If you are a New Zealand citizen and are unable to obtain a birth certificate for proof of citizenship, contact the Tertiary Education Commission to confirm that a whakapapa statement signed by both yourself and a kaumatua is acceptable evidence of citizenship.
Australian citizens and permanent residents
Provide a copy of one of these:
- An Australian birth certificate issued before 20 August 1986.
- An Australian passport.
- A passport with a current Australian resident return visa.
An expired passport can be used if you are a New Zealand or Australian citizen or permanent resident. The residency stamp must be valid or indefinite.
International student - offshore
An expired passport can be used for your application. A valid passport and visa must be presented to Unitec during orientation.
International student - onshore
An expired passport is not accepted. International onshore students must have a valid passport with a valid Visa.