- Current students
- Under 25s
Whether you’ve been working in the trades for a while, or are just starting out, a Unitec apprenticeship gives you the skills, experience and qualification to take your career to the next level.
A great way to gain a qualification
With an apprenticeship, you work and learn at the same time. Your employer trains and mentors you on the job, while Unitec teaches you on campus. Both your employer and Unitec tutor are there to guide and support you throughout your apprenticeship.
When you graduate from your apprenticeship, you’ll have a professional trade qualification sought after by employers. It means better career opportunities and higher pay, as well as recognition within your industry. As a qualified trade professional, you could even start your own business.
- Get paid by your employer to learn
- Guidance and support from both your employer and Unitec tutor.
- Learn in New Zealand’s most advanced trades training centre, Mataaho.
- Highly experienced trade qualified tutors with extensive industry experience.
- Quality apprenticeship programmes co-designed by the industry.
- Fees-free programmes for some apprenticeships.
- Career advice and guidance both during and after your apprenticeship.
What do I need to start an apprenticeship?
- A job in your chosen trade with an employer who’s committed to supporting you throughout your apprenticeship
- Your full commitment to complete the apprenticeship, which can take between two and five years depending on your chosen trade.
Some apprenticeship programmes may have further requirements.
What if I don’t have a job yet?
You could take one of our many pre-trade courses to help you prepare for an apprenticeship and increase your chances of getting a job.
Employers prefer to hire those who already have a qualification. A pre-trade qualification shows potential employers you’re keen and ready to build a successful career within that industry.
What apprenticeship programmes are available?
Take a look at our range of trade apprenticeship programmes, all taught in New Zealand’s most advanced trades training centre, Mataaho.
Please click on a link below for more details and to apply for an apprenticeship:
- Building apprenticeships (currently no fees)
- Plumbing, gasfitting and drainlaying apprenticeships (currently no fees)
- Automotive apprenticeships
- Electrical engineering apprenticeship
How do I get started?
Simply apply to enrol in your chosen apprenticeship programme. We’ll then be in touch with both you and your employer to get your application underway.
If you have any questions or need help with your application please contact us on 0800 10 95 10.