- Current students
If you are of Māori and/or Pasifika descent, aged 16 – 40 and you want to learn a trade, you could study free at Unitec.
|Award value: Full tuition fees||Number available: Limited scholarships available for 2020, please apply now to reserve your spot|
|Provider: Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)|
|Contact: MPTT Scholarships Manager at email@example.com.|
Māori and Pasifika Trades Training (MPTT) involves polytechnics, industry training organisations, support organisations, and industry all working together to stand behind you, to support you and connect you right into the heart of building, construction and infrastructure trades jobs. The Government is making your journey a little easier with free full tuition training to those that qualify.
These scholarships cover the tuition fees for various trades programmes, as well as helping you progress towards an apprenticeship and into a job.
- Be of Māori or Pacific descent
- Be aged 16 - 40 at the time of course start date
- Be enrolled in an eligible programme at Unitec
- Complete work-ready workshops during the course (MPTT scholarship only)
- Demonstrate a desire to succeed in the trades industry
- Be committed to completing the programme
- Be available to work 2 or 3 days per week
- Have a commitment to support person/ mentor
If there are more applicants than places available, those with a good academic record or with relevant work experience will be given preference for selection.
- New Zealand Certificate in Plumbing, Gasfitting and Drainlaying (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate Automotive Engineering (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Electrical Engineering (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate Mechanical Engineering (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills – Carpentry pathway (Level 3)
How to apply
To apply for an MPTT scholarship, you need to be enrolled in an eligible programme first.
Once enrolled in an eligible programme, complete the scholarship application form and attend an interview.
Approximately 100+ scholarships are provided annually. 2020 scholarship's offering is subject to TEC funding.