- Current students
Places on some of the programmes below are limited, so it's best to apply as early as possible. We have a limited number of places and these often fill at the beginning of each year.
As part of the Youth Guarantee scheme, we offer a range of study support to assist you while you study with us.
Who is eligible?
To qualify to study under the Youth Guarantee scheme, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a NZ citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be 16 to 19 years old before the start of the course*
- Be enrolled in a 6 or 12 month programme
- Apply online for a course or programme
- Gain a place in that course or programme
- Be successful in the Youth Guarantee funding interview - this will happen once you have gained your place.
For further information regarding eligibility for funding please refer to the Tertiary Education Commission website.
*15 year olds who hold Ministry approved early exemption from their school may also be eligible. This exemption must be in place before the course starts.
What can I study?
We offer practical programmes and Bridgepoint foundation education certificates under the Youth Guarantee scheme.
To qualify for the Youth Guarantee scheme, you need to study at level 3 for up to a full year starting in either Semester 1 or Semester 2.
- New Zealand Certificate in Automotive Engineering (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Electrical Engineering (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Mechanical Engineering (Level 3)
Half-year (one semester) programmes
Tuition is free for students studying on the Youth Guarantee scheme.
Because the programmes are free, you will not be eligible for student loans for your fees, however:
- If you are 18 you can apply for course-related costs and living costs if you meet the eligibility requirements as set out by Studylink
- You can apply for a student allowance if you meet the eligibility requirements as set out by Studylink
- Youth Guarantee students are eligible for financial travel support. This funding is linked to your attendance and it is administered by Student Support, not Studylink.
- For information about the financial support you may be entitled to (including loans and allowances), please contact Studylink.
How to apply
Please apply online for your programme.
Applications will be assessed against the programme entry criteria, which may include an interview with the programme staff. Once all of this has happened, you will have an interview with the Youth Guarantee team to talk about funding.
Please note that funded places are limited and often fill at the beginning of the year so provision may be limited. Applications received after funding has been allocated will need to apply for a Student Loan should they wish to continue with the programme they have been accepted in.
View frequently asked questions
Can I still access the Youth Payment while on a Youth Guarantee scheme?
Yes, as long as you meet the criteria for the Youth Payment, as set out by the Government.
If I am 15 years old and have school exemption, am I eligible to enrol in a Youth scheme?
If you are 15 and you already hold an early exemption from your school that has been approved by the Ministry, you may be eligible. We can't accept you unless this exemption is in place before the course starts.
Do I have to leave school before entering a Youth Guarantee scheme?
Yes. You can’t be enrolled at school at the same time. Our classes start in February or July.
If I don’t meet the criteria for the Youth Guarantee scheme, can I still apply to do one of these courses?
Yes, however you will not receive Youth Guarantee funding programme fees and standard application criteria will apply.
|contact||Phone: 0800 10 75 10
Find out the difference it's making to Calum Dundas.