- Current students
- Under 25s
As part of the government’s Targeted Training and Apprenticeships Fund (TTAF) to help upskill workers in roles critical to the economy, this programme has no fees*. Click here for a list of the programmes that are covered by this scheme.
If you want to make a start in plumbing, gasfitting and/or drainlaying and don’t have an apprenticeship agreement, this certificate will set you on your way. Gain a broad knowledge of plumbing, gasfitting, and drainlaying in this pre-trade qualification before choosing the area in which you'd like to specialise.
This programme will cover water supply systems, building envelope, drainlaying, plumbing maintenance, safe gas working procedures. Upon successful completion, you will be capable of assisting with the installation, repair and maintenance of plumbing, gasfitting and drainlaying work under supervision, and you'll be ready to enter into an apprenticeship that will lead to a New Zealand Level 4 trade qualification in one or more of these areas.
- Ideal start in the plumbing, gasfitting and drainlaying industries and ideal if you do not have an apprenticeship agreement
- Gives you a solid understanding of all areas to better inform your choice of specialisation
- Be able to assist licenced Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers safely and effectively
- Work in Unitec's brand new trade skills building, Mataaho - a fantastic new purpose built facility for all trades
This programme does not enable graduates to practice as qualified plumbers, gasfitters or drainlayers, but is an ideal foundation to prepare for an apprenticeship and to become fully qualified with further study in these apprenticeship programmes:
For this programme, you will need:
1. To be 16 years old by the time the programme starts
2. Completed NCEA Level 1 with 10 credits in English and 10 credits in Mathematics.
3. If English is not your first language, you will need one or more of the following:
- Have achieved NCEA Level 3 and New Zealand University entrance
- Be able to provide evidence you satisfy our criteria for existing English proficiency
- Have achieved at least one English proficiency outcome in the last two years
Don't meet these requirements? We also accept:
- Provide sufficient evidence to be eligible for special or discretionary admission.
For more information, download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses including timetables, please click on the course names below.
|Water Supply Systems (CIBC3101)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To enable the student to acquire foundation knowledge and practical skills to assist with the installation of hot and cold water plumbing installations and prepares work-ready capabilities.|
|Building Envelope (CIBC3102)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To enable the student to acquire the general practical and theoretical knowledge of the principles related to weather tightness in plumbing and gasfitting and further develops work-readiness capabilities.|
|Drainlaying (CIBC3121)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To enable the student to acquire the basic knowledge and practical skills to assist with drainage system installation and further develops work-readiness capabilities.|
|Plumbing Maintenance and Foul Water (CIBC3151)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To enable the student to acquire the foundation knowledge and practical skills to assist with the installation of foul water plumbing systems and perform basic plumbing maintenance, under supervision, and further develops work-ready capabilities.|
|Introduction to Gasfitting (CIBC3181)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To enable the student to acquire the foundation knowledge and skills of: flueing and ventilation; consumer gas pipework; gas appliances and their applications and; adds capabilities in work-readiness.|