Application FAQs

Find out how to check the status of your application, where to send your documents, when to apply for a student loan and more.

Application FAQs

Find out how to check the status of your application, where to send your documents, when to apply for a student loan and more.

How do I apply?

The fastest and easiest way to apply is online. If you need any help applying please contact us on 0800 10 95 10, or come into Student Central. Start your online application.

How do I login to check the status of my application and upload my application documentation?

Once you've applied online you can see what’s happening with your application by logging in to the Application Dashboard. Log in using the email address and password you chose when you first applied. If you have misplaced the email you can call us on 0800 10 95 10 or +64 9 8154321.

NOTE: if you applied for one of the programmes below, please login to MyPortal.
•    Certificate of Proficiency 
•    Postgraduate Certificate of Proficiency

What happens once I've applied?

After you’ve submitted your application online it is transferred into our system.

If you’ve uploaded other documents (for example your birth certificate, passport, or previous qualifications) you will need to bring the originals into Student Central so we can verify them. Alternatively you can post verified copies of the originals to us.

Once your application is complete, we will double-check it and let you know if there is anything else we need. Your application is then reviewed by the Programme Leader.

For some programmes you will need to submit extra material (as quickly as possible) or attend an assessment, interview or meeting with the Programme Leader. You will be notified is this applies to you.

Do I need to supply documentation again?

If you've already provided your verified documentation (including identification, residency and record of learning) and you haven't changed your name or residency status since then you don't need to provide them again.

If in doubt please check by giving us a call 0800 10 95 10, or visit Student Central.

How do I get my documents verified?

Copies of documents like your passport, birth certificate or previous qualifications can be verified by an authorised person who has seen the original.

Authorised people include barristers or solicitors of the High Court, a Justice of the Peace, a notary public, a Court Registrar or Deputy Registrar, a Member of Parliament, an authorised employee of the Land Transport Safety Authority, an authorised employee of Public Trust, or an authorised local authority employee.

If you are in a remote community and unable to access a person listed in the Oaths and Declarations Act 1957, a school principal, minister of religion or general practitioner is acceptable.

You can also bring the originals into Student Central at any of our campuses and we will verify them.

Am I eligible for the programme?

Admission requirements vary from programme to programme. Check the admission requirements for the programme you want to enrol in before you apply. Admission requirements for individual programmes are listed on this website. Each application is considered on a case-by-case basis.

What is the closing date for applications?

Some programmes have a closing date and some have a preferential date that you should apply by. Check the website to see if closing or preferential application dates apply to the programme.

Programmes that don’t give a closing or preferential application date close when all the places have been filled. This can happen early so we recommend applying as soon as possible.

Can I gain credit for my previous study?

If your programme includes a course that is very similar to and at the same or higher level as a course you have already completed as part of a different programme or prior to studying at Unitec, you may be able to have these credits recognised. This can reduce the number of courses you need to study for your Unitec programme.

Credit recognition can only be considered after you’ve applied to the programme you want to study. If you are offered a place, then you can fill out an Application for Credit Recognition form. You need to include your transcript and course descriptors from your previous studies.

If you are applying for credit recognition from courses completed at another institution you need to pay a non-refundable and non-transferable fee.

When applying for credit recognition, please make sure you enclose verified evidence of course content and your transcript. The department will carefully check and compare the content and level of both courses to determine whether credit recognition can be granted.

Please get your application in early, as all applications for credit recognition need to be processed before you start your programme.

Can I gain credit from my relevant work and life experiences?

If you have already worked in your chosen industry or have skills and knowledge that are highly relevant, you may be able to get formal recognition and reduce the length of time to finish your study. Find out more about Assessment of Prior Learning.

When should I apply for my Student Loan?

You can apply for your Student Loan with Studylink as soon as you have submitted an application with us. For more information visit the Studylink website. Studylink also provide an excellent Thinking About Study guide.

How do I change my enrolment after the semester has started?

You can add, drop or swap courses through ‘Student Self Service’ via MyPortal before 10% of your programme has elapsed. For example, 10% of a 16-week programme is approximately two weeks.

If you’re not sure whether you can still make changes to your programme, visit Student Central or email us for assistance at

You may need to complete a Variation of Enrolment (VOE) form, which you can do at Student Central (please note this form is not available online). You should also check with Student Central whether your fees are affected.

If you're an international student you can drop to 45 credits without it affecting your fees for the semester or your student visa. Student Central can assist you with this. If you want to change programmes, drop to below 45 credits, or cancel your study altogether, you must make your request through the International Office

What is the policy on refunds if I withdraw from my programme?

The amount Unitec will refund depends on the date when you withdraw (in writing) from your programme:

·        If you withdraw before the programme begins, you will get a 100% refund.

·        If you withdraw during the first 10% of the programme you will get a 90% refund. (10% is approximately two weeks of a 16-week programme).

·        If you withdraw after the first 10% of the programme, you do not get a refund.

Please visit Student Central if you wish to withdraw from a course. You can also email us

How do I withdraw completely?

To withdraw completely from a programme you must notify us in writing by completing and submitting a Variation of Enrolment (VOE) form. You can do this in person at Student Central or online in ‘Student Self Service’ via MyPortal

If you’re an international student, you must get your withdrawal approved by the International Office before submitting your request.

What is the difference between a programme and a course?

A programme is made up of compulsory and elective courses.

How do I get a student ID card?

Unitec student ID cards are available to all enrolled students and they’re valid for the entire length of your study. Please note - students enrolled in a course that is less than three weeks long and those enrolled in an IELTS Preparation Course are not eligible for a student ID card.

To collect your student ID card in person, please bring your fee payment receipt or your student loan contract to a Student Central (located at Building 180 or Building 3 on Mt Albert campus, Waitakere campus or Northern campus).

If you are a new student, please bring photo ID such as a driver's licence or passport.

To get your student ID card by post, please email us a JPEG passport format photo, a copy of your passport or driver's licence, a copy of your Unitec fee invoice, and a copy of your receipt or StudyLink Loan Entitlement Advice (LEA) letter to Student Central.

Still can't find what you're looking for?

If you haven't found an answer to your question, please check our full list of frequently asked questions.