- Current students
The Electrotechnology Department of Unitec is a EWRB approved provider of Competence Programmes for practicing licences for EWRB registered people.
This course is for those who wish to renew their practising license. Topics covered on this short course include:
- The Electricity (Safety) Regulations 2010 and subsequent amendments
- Testing for personal safety
- Evidence of assessments that incorporate practical testing of an attendee’s “levels of knowledge” to confirm satisfactory completion of the competence programme
- Earthing requirements in AS/NZS 3000:2007
- The installation, operation and operational testing of residual current devices
- Prospective short circuit current levels
- Testing, certification, and inspection
- Technical content of problem areas and issues published in the EWRB Electron
- Cardio-Pulmonary resuscitation and basic first aid
- The Board requirements relating to the supervision of trainees both from a supervisor and trainee perspective, including supervision procedures for Trainees dated (29 October 2010) sections 76 and 77 of the Electricity Act 1992 (reprint incorporating the Electricity Amendment Act 2006).
However, subjects are specific to class of registration, and are detailed in the Schedule of the EWRB competence programme guidelines, available on the EWRB website.
Unitec offers a one day course for people with the following classes of registration:
- Electrical Inspector
- Electrician, Electrical Engineer and Electrical Installer
- Electrical Service Technician, Electrical Appliance Service Person (endorsed), and Associated Trades Person
- Electrical Appliance Service Person
To successfully complete the course, students must pass theoretical and practical assessments, upon which a Unitec Certificate of Attendance will be issued. Your participation and achievement will also be reported to the EWRB.
Candidates are advised to apply to the EWRB for confirmation of their eligibility to study this course.
Course available dates: 25/09/2020, 30/10/2020, 27/11/2020. (One day course, runs every last Friday of the month.)
Time and location
Practical: 08:30am - 12:30pm, Mt Albert (307-1014A)
Lecture: 13:00pm - 17:00pm, Mt Albert (170-2031)
How to apply
Please hit the 'Apply Now' button on the top right of this page and follow the steps. Applications close 7 days before the start date of each class.
Register your insterest
If this date doesn't suit you and/or if you're interested in being notified of future upcoming classes, please Register your interest in this short course.
Minimum Enrolment Number
If the minimum number of students to be enrolled is not reached, then Unitec reserves the right to cancel the class. Should this occur, you will be notified ahead of closure. Before you make any travel or accommodation arrangements, we recommend that you first check your course is running.
Maximum Enrolment Number
Domestic students: Domestic fee: $187.87
International students: This short course is not open to international students. You must hold a NZ Practicing License to enroll in this course.
Fees are inclusive of GST and student services fee.