- Current students
- Under 25s
The Electrotechnology Department of Unitec is a EWRB approved provider of Competence Programmes for practicing licences for EWRB registered people.
This course is for those who wish to renew their practising license. Topics covered on this short course include:
- The Electricity (Safety) Regulations 2010 and subsequent amendments
- Testing for personal safety
- Evidence of assessments that incorporate practical testing of an attendee’s “levels of knowledge” to confirm satisfactory completion of the competence programme
- Earthing requirements in AS/NZS 3000:2007
- The installation, operation and operational testing of residual current devices
- Prospective short circuit current levels
- Testing, certification, and inspection
- Technical content of problem areas and issues published in the EWRB Electron
- Cardio-Pulmonary resuscitation and basic first aid
- The Board requirements relating to the supervision of trainees both from a supervisor and trainee perspective, including supervision procedures for Trainees dated (29 October 2010) sections 76 and 77 of the Electricity Act 1992 (reprint incorporating the Electricity Amendment Act 2006).
However, subjects are specific to class of registration, and are detailed in the Schedule of the EWRB competence programme guidelines, available on the EWRB website.
Unitec offers a one day course for people with the following classes of registration:
- Electrical Inspector
- Electrician, Electrical Engineer and Electrical Installer
- Electrical Service Technician, Electrical Appliance Service Person (endorsed), and Associated Trades Person
- Electrical Appliance Service Person
To successfully complete the course, students must pass theoretical and practical assessments, upon which a Unitec Certificate of Attendance will be issued. Your participation and achievement will also be reported to the EWRB.
Candidates are advised to apply to the EWRB for confirmation of their eligibility to study this course.
$189.71 ((Fee is inclusive of 15% GST and Student Services fee but does not include the EWRB/ASPEQ exam fee)
Please note that this is a 1-day programme and a student who has enrolled in an EWRB Practicing License would follow the below class schedule
- Location: Unitec Mt Albert campus - Morning 307-1014A & Afternoon 307- 2005
- Date: 12th February 2021
- Time: Morning 8:30 AM to 12.30 PM and Afternoon 1.00 PM to 4.30 PM
Minimum Enrolment Number
Unitec reserves the right to cancel this class when the minimum enrolled number is not met. Should this occur, you will be notified before the intake closure. Please check if your class is running before you make any travel arrangements.
Maximum Enrolment Number
Unitec holds the right to stop the enrolment when the number of students enrolled in EWRB short courses reaches the capacity of the assigned Trades building laboratory.
List of tools and PPE gear required for the course
To attend the course, you must have required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) gear, which includes electrical safety (capped) footwear and safety glasses.
We recommend that you bring your toolbox, which must include (but not limited to):
- Wire strippers
- Phillips screwdrivers
- Flat blade screwdrivers
- Diagonal (Side) cutters
- Electrician’s pliers
How to apply
To apply for this short course please click the below “Apply Now” button and under Short Course in EWRB Practicing License.