Code of Practice

Unitec Institute of Technology abides by the Code of Practice (the code) which sets out minimum standards of advice and care that you can expect and provides a procedure that you can follow if you have concerns about the treatment you receive from us or a Unitec registered agent. The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) website tells you more about the code. Visit The Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice section of the NZQA website for more information.

How can I get a copy of the Code?  

You can request a copy of the Code from your New Zealand education provider. The Code is also available online from the New Zealand Qualification Authority website.

What do I do if something goes wrong?

If you have concerns about your treatment by your education provider or by an agent of the provider, the first thing you should do is contact your International student advisor or the Student Advocates. The Code requires all institutions to have fair and equitable internal grievance procedures for students and you need to go through these internal processes before you can take the complaint any further. The Unitec Process can be found here.

If your concerns are not resolved by the internal grievance procedures, you can contact the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA). You can submit your complaint query on the NZQA website. If you need more information on the complaint process, contact NZQA on 0800 697 296.

What is the New Zealand Qualification Authority (NZQA)?

NZQA is a government organisation. They can provide an independent assessment of your complaint and will either investigate your concerns or advise you what you can do next.