- Current students
This programme is ideal if you want to go on to higher-level study in art and design. It's perfect for people that have completed secondary school, or have not completed secondary school and require University entrance qualifications, or those looking for a career in the art and design pathway.
This Certificate starts with a base in Identity and Communication, and builds with art and design knowledge as well as collaborative projects.
- Emphasis on practical skills and studio based learning: you will be creating your art and design in a studio environment and participate in group critiques with your fellow students.
- Learn from Lecturers who are eager to share their industry experience with you.
- Access to Unitec's excellent communication studies and design facilities.
- A mix of classroom sessions, practical workshops, critique sessions, guest speakers, discussions, presentations and online learning.
- A chance to take classes in Unitec's marae, a great setting to explore Māori oratorical traditions and the role of culture in communication.
Where to from here
Upon successful completion of this programme you can go onto further study in Bachelor of Creative Enterprise programme.
Please note: International students who graduate will NOT be eligible for a post study work visa upon completion of this programme.
For this programme, you will need the following:
- A minimum of 12 credits at NCEA Level 1 in three different subjects, one subject must be English
- A minimum of 4 years secondary education
- Be 16 years old by the time the programme starts
- You may be required to present a portfolio of work or attend an interview or to a Skills Review session at our Mt Albert campus
- If English is not your first language you will need one or more of the following:
- Have achieved NCEA Level 3 and New Zealand University entrance
- Be able to provide evidence you satisfy our criteria for existing English proficiency
- Have achieved at least one English proficiency outcome in the last two years
Don't meet these requirements? We also accept:
- A relevant qualification at Level 2 on the NZQF or above or an equivalent qualification; or
- Provide sufficient evidence to be eligible for special or discretionary admission.
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses including timetables, please click on the course names below.
|Art and Design Studio (BECI4101)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||Students will develop a confident learner identity and the art and design skills necessary for further academic study in their chosen pathway.|
|Processes, Procedures, Materials and Technology (BECI4102)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||Students will develop a confident learner identity and the art & design skills necessary for further academic study in their chosen pathway.|
|Collaborative Project (BECI4901)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course will prepare students for further academic study in their chosen pathway by providing creative project experience in both individual and collaborative contexts.|
|Identity and Communication (BPED4001)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course introduces pathway-related concepts and develops pathway-related academic skills in order to prepare students for further academic study in their chosen pathway.|