- Current students
This programme is ideal if you want to go on to higher-level study in art and design. It's perfect for people that have completed secondary school, or have not completed secondary school and require University entrance qualifications, or those looking for a career in the art and design pathway. This Certificate starts with a base in Identity and Communication, and builds with art and design knowledge as well as collaborative project.
- Emphasis on practical skills and studio based learning: you will be creating your art and design in a studio environment and participate in group critiques with your fellow students.
- Learn from Lecturers who are eager to share their industry experience with you.
- Access to Unitec's excellent communication studies and design facilities.
- A mix of classroom sessions, practical workshops, critique sessions, guest speakers, discussions, presentations and online learning.
- A chance to take classes in Unitec's marae, a great setting to explore Māori oratorical traditions and the role of culture in communication.
Please note: International students who graduate will NOT be eligible for a post study work visa upon completion of this programme.
For this programme, you will need the following:
- A minimum of 12 credits at NCEA Level 1 in three different subjects, one subject must be English
- A minimum of 4 years secondary education
- Be 16 years old by the time the programme starts
- You may be required to present a portfolio of work or attend an interview or to a Skills Review session at our Mt Albert campus
- If English is not your first language you will need one or more of the following:
- Have achieved NCEA Level 3 and New Zealand University entrance
- Be able to provide evidence you satisfy our criteria for existing English proficiency
- Have achieved at least one English proficiency outcome in the last two years
Don’t meet these requirements? We also accept:
- A relevant qualification at Level 2 on the NZQF or above or an equivalent qualification; or
- Provide sufficient evidence to be eligible for special or discretionary admission.
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses including timetables, please click on the course names below.
|Art and Design Studio (BECI4101)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||Students will develop a confident learner identity and the art and design skills necessary for further academic study in their chosen pathway.|
|Processes, Procedures, Materials and Technology (BECI4102)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||Students will develop a confident learner identity and the art & design skills necessary for further academic study in their chosen pathway.|
|Collaborative Project (BECI4901)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course will prepare students for further academic study in their chosen pathway by providing creative project experience in both individual and collaborative contexts.|
|Identity and Communication (BPED4001)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course introduces pathway-related concepts and develops pathway-related academic skills in order to prepare students for further academic study in their chosen pathway.|