See the range of programmes covered by the The Targeted Training and Apprenticeships Fund

Open main menu Close main menu
Our classroom is a construction site

Construction Management

Construction projects are like big puzzles, with many different pieces. And Construction Managers and Site Supervisors are critical to ensure these pieces built on time and on budget. Study construction management and you’ll learn how to organise, manage and control a construction site. It’s the perfect preparation for projects that can involve hundreds of workers and millions of dollars of materials.

Explore your options

Unitec’s construction management programmes give you the skills and knowledge to plan and run building projects. You’ll learn how to put together a building programme, schedule activities on a construction site, and coordinate the supply of materials and machinery. It’s great preparation for a career as a site manager, construction manager or project manager.

Study construction management and you’ll also learn best practice for the industry. You’ll find out why quality management systems are important and become familiar with resource planning. Our programmes reflect current trends and legislation, which will give you the knowledge you need once you’re out in the workplace. We have integrated Building Information Modelling (BIM) technology and Virtual Design and Construction (VDC) processes as part of our courses; you will learn the basics of BIM and VDC and how to apply them on construction management activities.

And if you’re already working in the industry, we can develop your skills in team leadership and complex problem-solving.

Programmes and study path

Start with a programme that suits your qualifications and/or experience, then progress to a level that achieves your goals.
New Zealand Certificate in Construction Related Trades (Supervisor) 4 Full-time for 6 months, or part-time options available Business Owners/Operators, Construction Assistant, Construction Co-ordinator, Contract administrator, Assistant Project Manager Please register your interest to be notified of future intakes.
New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 4) - Construction 4 Full-time for 16-weeks or part-time options available This programme prepares you for further study toward a career in construction February or July
New Zealand Certificate in Construction Related Trades (Main Contract Supervision) 5 Part-time options available. Main Contract Supervisor, Business Owners/Operators Please register your interest to be notified of future intakes.
New Zealand Diploma in Architectural Technology 6 Full-time for two years, or part-time options available Architectural technician, Architectural designer, Senior architectural designer, Urban designer, Landscape architect, Design manager, Consultant design practice owner February or July
New Zealand Diploma in Construction 6 Full-time for two years, or part-time options available Construction Management technician, Quantity surveyor February or July
Bachelor of Construction (Construction Management) 7 Domestic students: Full-time for two years and then part-time for two years or as negotiated on a case-by-case basis (based on a February start). International students: 3 years full-time. Construction site manager, Project manager, Project planner, Property developer February or July
Graduate Diploma in Construction Project Management 7 Full-time for 1 year (including 2 x 2-week block courses per semester). Part-time options available. Site manager, Project manager, Construction manager February or July

Industry contacts and opportunities

At Unitec, we are highly industry connected, this means that we understand what Kiwi businesses are looking for and guides our programme content to be up to date and future focused, as well as giving our students access to these partners and prospective employers, research expertise, sponsorship opportunities, and much more.

Thanks to our mentoring scheme with the New Zealand Institute of Building, our students in construction management get the opportunity to team-up with a senior construction manager for a year.  The New Zealand Institute of Building also sponsor a number of student awards each year.

Thank you to all our partners for your continued support.

  • Aspec
  • Aurecon
  • Beca
  • Fletcher
  • Hawkins Construction
  • Jasmax
  • Kalmar
  • New Zealand Institute of Building
  • NZStrong
  • Rider Bucknall Levett
  • Stephenson & Turner

Professional Development Services by Unitec

No matter how New Zealand construction and infrastructure grows or changes, business success will always be a result of its staff and their ability to adapt, minimise risk and improve productivity.
How is your organisation adapting to the current environment and innovating for the future?
Professional Training Services by Unitec offer programmes designed for teams in the industry to share knowledge and develop the skills needed to become agents of innovation and change, build their professionalism and refresh their passion of the field.
View our training options below. To discuss the opportunities and solutions that will maximise the return on learning for your organisation, please contact our partnerships team.


Construction Site Management Training Programme (Level 5)

This Level 5 training programme is designed for teams currently employed in the construction industry who are looking to move into supervisory roles. It will build on their current practical construction knowledge and add the following key basic skills and knowledge to support a move into supervision and responsibility within the construction industry:

• Construction planning 1
• Contract and compliance application
• Procurement processes and implications
• Communication for the construction industry
• In-depth construction methodology

Find out more about this programme.

Advanced Construction Site Management Training Programme (Level 6)

Are you looking to extend the knowledge and capability of your team/s? This Level 6 training programme introduces your team to develop new specialist knowledge in these subject areas:

• Advanced Construction Planning Techniques
• Contract administration and commercial management
• The principles of risk management
• Quality assurance and quality control
• Design management principles
• Innovation in construction

Find out more about this programme.

Construction Management Training Programme (Level 7)

Upskill your team of supervisory staff to have in-depth knowledge and skills in the best practices in planning and management, new construction management practices built on Lean Construction principles, the software associated with Building Information Modelling (BIM) and provide insight into the latest construction management practice.

The practical application in the delivery and in the assessments of this training programme are of immediate direct benefit to their current positions improving their capabilities as supervisors with a flow on effect to their teams.

The two-day block courses are spread over the year duration of this programme to allow the participants to adopt the skills and knowledge taught while carrying out their role in the industry.

Need to know information before you apply


Local and international students

International student status (click to expand)

According to the Education Act, an international student is a person who isn’t a New Zealand Citizen or who doesn’t have a residence class visa or permit. If you’re still not sure what your correct status is, you can get in touch with our Student Central (Te Pae Kōrero) team.
If you’re on a resident visa or a permanent resident visa, or if you’re a resident/citizen of Australia, then you’ll be classified as a domestic student. If you want to apply for a Student Loan to help pay your study fees, you’ll only be eligible once you become a permanent resident and have held it for 3 years or more.
If you’re currently on a work visa, student visa or visitor visa, you’ll still be classified as an international student and international fees will apply.


Age requirements (click to expand)

If you’re a domestic student, you’ll need to be aged 16 years or older (unless you can claim an exemption under TEC regulations). You can contact if you need more information about this.
If you’re an international student, you’ll need to be aged 17 years or older to study at Unitec.


Applying as an international student (click to expand)

You can find out more and apply online as an international student by clicking here.


Study programmes

Apply anytime (click to expand)

We accept applications for programmes throughout the year and we consider all applications in the date order that we receive them. However, we recommend that you apply for a programme as soon as possible to avoid unexpected delays. If you’re interested in a programme, you can apply online here.


Programme eligibility (click to expand)

Admission requirements vary from programme to programme. Make sure you check the admission requirements for the programme you want to enrol in before you apply. You can find admission requirements for individual programmes on our website, and we’ll consider each application on a case-by-case basis.


Short courses (click to expand)

If you want to apply for one of our short courses, you’ll need to know what the class number is – you can find the class number on the short course timetable page on the website. You can apply, enrol and make a payment all in one go. You won’t receive any notification, but we’ll contact you only if the short course isn’t running. In some cases, we may need you to apply for a short course by completing a hard copy short course enrolment form.
You’ll need to bring your original NZ birth certificate, passport or Citizenship certificate into one of our Student Centrals, and we’ll certify that as a true copy for you. Alternatively, you can download and complete the form, and send it along with a certified copy of your NZ birth certificate, passport or Citizenship certificate to:
Student Administration
Private Bag 92025
Victoria Street West
Auckland 1142


Looking for a programme (click to expand)

Can’t find the programme you’re looking for? There may be a few reasons why you can’t find the programme or course you’re looking for:
  1. if you want to take a single course (as part of a larger Unitec programme), you need to apply for a Certificate of Proficiency (COP). Find out how to apply for a COP.
  2. it might be that it has a different name to the one you were expecting to find. If that’s the case, you can simply use the search bar on the website to help find your programme.
If you still can’t find the programme you’re looking for, you can email and our friendly team will help you work out your next steps.


Previous and declined Unitec applications (click to expand)

If you applied for a programme last year or last semester, but your application was declined (or cancelled) you’ll need to lodge a new application online. If you already provided us with your supporting documents last time you applied, then you don’t need to provide them again.
If you cancelled your application after you accepted the offer of place last time, then all you need to do is re-enrol manually. Make sure you visit one of our Student Centrals or send us a re-enrolment request by emailing


Credits from previous study (click to expand)

If your programme includes a course that is very similar to and at the same or higher level as a course you’ve already completed as part of a different programme, or prior to studying at Unitec, you may be able to get credits recognised towards your programme. This can reduce the number of courses you need to study for your Unitec programme.
We can only consider credit recognition after you’ve applied for the programme you want to study. If you’re offered a place, then you can fill out an Application for Credit Recognition form, and include your academic transcript and course descriptors from your previous studies.
If you’re applying for credit recognition from courses completed at another institution, then you’ll need to pay a non-refundable and non-transferable fee.
When you apply for credit recognition, you need to make sure you include verified evidence of previous course content and your academic transcript. We’ll then carefully check and compare the content and level of both courses to determine whether we can accept credit recognition. Make sure you get your application in early, as we’ll need to process your application for credit recognition before you start your programme.


Credits from previous work and life experiences (click to expand)

If you’ve already worked in your chosen industry or have skills and knowledge that are highly relevant to your programme, then you may be able to get formal recognition and reduce the length of time it takes to finish your study. Find out more about Assessment of Prior Learning.


Insufficient credits (click to expand)

If you don’t have enough credits to get into your programme, you may still be able to apply for a Unitec course. Our dedicated enrolment managers can help you get into the programme that’s right for you, and you may be eligible for discretionary admission into the programme. It’s a good idea to apply early as we may need you to complete a few tasks first. If you’re waiting on results from school or another academic programme, you should let your enrolment manager know when they call you. Email us at so that we can get an enrolment manager to get in touch with you.


Programmes requiring Police Vetting clearance or a Ministry of Justice check (click to expand)

The New Zealand Police Vetting Service provides criminal history checks and other relevant information on potential students who are applying for a programme at Unitec, that may have contact with children or vulnerable members of society through the programme.
You should receive the Police Vetting form via email, but if you haven’t received anything, please feel free to get in touch with us. Once you’ve filled out the form, you can drop it off at one of our Student Centrals or email us with your scanned certified ID documents.
For Police Vetting clearance, we’ll require a filled-out form for any of the following programmes or short courses:
Short courses:


Ministry of Justice (MOJ) check (click to expand)

The MOJ form gives consent to a third party (in this instance Unitec) allowing them a Ministry of Justice database search. This form will be sent to you by the department, but if for some reason you don’t receive the form, you can download it here.
For a Ministry of Justice check, you’ll need to provide us with the filled-out form if you’ve applied for any of the following programmes:
  • New Zealand Certificate in Animal Technology (Veterinary Nursing Assistant)
  • New Zealand Diploma in Veterinary Nursing

Submitting your application

Applying online (click to expand)

Apply online for the programme or course you want to study. If you need any help applying, you can contact us on 0800 10 95 10, or come into Student Central.


Application closing dates (click to expand)

Some programmes have a closing date, and some have a special date that you should apply by. Programmes that don’t give a closing or special application date close when all the places have been filled. This can happen early so make sure you apply as soon as possible.


Checking your application status (click to expand)

Once you've applied online, you can see what’s happening with your application by visiting the Unitec website and clicking on ‘Continue my application’ in the Quicklinks section. This will take you straight to the login page.
Log in via Google or Facebook, or by using the email address and password you chose when you first applied. If you have trouble logging in, you can call us on 0800 10 95 10 or email


Process after submitting your application (click to expand)

After you’ve submitted your application it goes straight into our system. You’ll need to supply evidence of your identification and residency or citizenship status in the form of supporting documents - for example, a birth certificate, passport, or previous qualifications). You’ll need to either bring the originals into Student Central so we can certify them as true copies, or you can post certified copies of the originals to us.
Your student enrolment portal task list will have information on any other tasks you need to complete. For some programmes, you’ll need to submit additional documentation, such as a CV, or attend an assessment, interview or audition.
If you have any issues with any of the steps above, you can ask for an update in your student enrolment portal. Call 0800 10 95 10 or visit Student Central.


Submitting applications on campus (click to expand)

You can visit us in person to submit your application. Our Student Central (Te Pae Kōrero) is a one-stop-shop for help, located on both of our campuses. Our team of advisors will be able to help you apply for the programme you want to study.
Make sure you bring in your original documents, passport, birth certificate, academic transcripts and certificates so that you can sort this at the same time, while you’re with us. For more information and where to find us, visit the Student Central (Te Pae Kōrero) page.


Submitting documents online (click to expand)

If you log into your student enrolment portal, you’ll be able to upload your documents online. ID documents and academic documents need to be certified as true copies before they’re uploaded. Please note that the maximum file size allowed for uploads is 20MB. If you have trouble uploading your files, you can email or come into Student Central and have a chat with us.


Getting someone else to drop your documents to us (click to expand)

We know that you might not be able to make it into Unitec to submit your identity and academic documents due to work or other commitments. In this case, you can get your documents dropped off by your friends or family. It’s important to know that we need to see the original or certified copy of all official documents. Please be aware, we cannot accept photos, photocopies or e-copies.
You aren’t able to change your personal info on the application form
If you aren’t able to change your personal information on the application form, then this may be because we still have your previously entered information stored in our system. If you would like us to update your personal details, make sure you bring all relevant original documents such as your new passport or birth certificate or marriage certificate, to Student Central. If you just want to change your email address, feel free to contact us.


Previous Unitec applications (click to expand)

When you apply for a programme, you’ll be asked whether you’ve created an account with Unitec before. If you have an account, you can just log in using your old account details. If you were a Unitec student, or you applied prior to 2016, you can answer ‘no I’m new to Unitec’ and continue on to apply as a new applicant. Let your enrolment manager know when they call you, that you have previously applied to Unitec.


Student Fees and Financial Aid


Fees-free study eligibility (click to expand)

To receive fees-free support, you'll need to meet the relevant eligibility criteria and be enrolled in an eligible course. To check your eligibility, you'll need to go to the Government's Fees-free website and enter your National Student Number (NSN). The Fees-free website will also have instructions on what to do if you don’t know or don’t have an NSN.
Once you've checked that you're eligible, you can now browse our career and study options.
Once you've entered your NSN, you’ll receive one of the following results:
  • Yes – you're eligible for fees-free
  • No – you're not eligible for fees-free
  • Unknown – not sure if you’re eligible for fees-free
If you get a no as an eligibility status, you can apply for a student loan or allowance. For more information on student loans and allowances, visit the StudyLink website. We also have a range of scholarships, grants, and awards available, all with a wide variety of criteria that can help with paying for your study. For more information on our scholarships, grants, and awards, visit our Scholarships and Awards page.
If you get an unknown eligibility status but meet the eligibility criteria, you’ll need to complete and submit a statutory declaration to be eligible for fees-free. Instructions for completing the statutory declaration form are on the Fees-free website. We encourage you to do this as soon as possible, so there are no disruptions to your studies.


Fees-free coverage (click to expand)

Fees-free covers:
  • Tuition fees
  • Compulsory course costs, and
  • Compulsory student services fees
Please note: Fees-free doesn’t cover other optional and occasional fees.


Student Loan and Student Allowance Applications

Applying for a Student Loan or Student Allowance (click to expand)

You can apply for a student loan or student allowance online, through StudyLink.
If you still need more information, visit or call them on 0800 88 99 00.
If you need help applying, our Student Support Advisors can assist you. They run drop-in sessions at the beginning of each semester, for dates and times visit our Loans and Allowances (StudyLink) page.


Attending class where StudyLink has not yet paid for your fees (click to expand)

Processing of student loans may sometimes take longer than expected. You can still attend your classes, but you’re expected to keep a track of the proceedings of your loan application with StudyLink. We recommend that you apply for student loans at least 3 weeks prior to the semester start date, to avoid any delays or inconvenience.


Statement of Satisfactory Progress forms (click to expand)

If StudyLink sent you a Statement of Satisfactory Progress (SSP) form, please bring it to your nearest Student Central. Alternatively, you can send the form to us by email or post.
Our postal address is:
Student Administration
Academic Records Building 60
Unitec Institute of Technology
Private Bag 92025
Victoria Street West
Auckland 1142

Paying your fees

Domestic students (click to expand)

You can pay your fees by cheque, EFTPOS, credit card, or in the form of an approved application for a student loan. Follow the link for more options on how to pay your fees. If you’re applying for a short course, you’ll need to pay your fees when you register for the course.
If you’re expecting a refund, your course fee will be returned to the same account or payment method you used to pay them. If you paid fees for your course by student loan, your refund will be credited to your loan balance. If we have any issues finding your bank details or processing your refund, we’ll get in touch with you. If you have any questions, you can email with your full name and student ID.


International students (click to expand)

If you’re an international student, whether onshore or offshore, you’ll need to pay international fees that are set for the specific programme or courses.
If you’re expecting a refund, you’ll need to get an international refund form from our international office. You can book an appointment at the AskMe desk (in the hub - Te Puna) to see a Student Advisor if you want to drop or add a course, to understand how this impacts your visa and insurance. If you have any questions, you can email with your full name and student ID.


Obtaining your fees invoice or statement (click to expand)

There are a few ways to get one:
  • To confirm any outstanding balances of your fees, you can check this information by logging into Student Self Service via MyPortal
  • If you need a copy of an invoice or statement, just ask us and we’ll send you a copy of your invoice.
  • If you’re not able to do this or are having problems accessing this information, make sure you get in touch with us on 0800 10 95 10 to request an invoice or statement.
You can also visit any of our Student Centrals and we’ll print you a copy.


Dropping a course (click to expand)

Changes to your fees and grades or academic transcript will depend on when you submitted your change enrolment request:
  1. If you drop a class before or on the class start date
    • Enrolment for this class won’t appear on your transcript and you won’t be charged a fee.
    • If you’re a returning student, you can action this via MyPortal. If you’re a new student, you need to make a change to your Unitec application
  2. If you drop a class before or up to 10% of the class start date
    • A record of the enrolment won’t appear on your transcript, and there’ll be a fee of 10% of your fees for this class or a refund of 90% if you’ve already paid your fees.
    • You can action this after the semester start date via self-service on MyPortal.
  3. If you drop a class outside of the 10% timeframe
    • You may be liable for full fees and the record may appear on your transcript as a grade of W (Withdrawn) or DNC (Did Not Complete).
    • You can action this after the semester start date via self-service on MyPortal.