Unitec Building Construction students prove they’re work-ready with award wins
Students from Unitec’s School of Building Construction notched up a cluster of wins at the recent NZIOB (New Zealand Institute of Building) Northern Chapter’s Student Awards for Excellence in the 2018 Academic Year.
20 June 2019
The annual awards recognise not only academic excellence, but also evidence of teamwork and leadership on a particular course or programme. Recipients must be tertiary students, studying on a relevant NZ Construction Industry qualification at Certificate, Diploma, Bachelor or Post-Grad level.
Six Unitec students were recognised for their outstanding achievement in the 2018 Academic Year by the Northern Chapter awards, including:
- Mary Star – top achiever in NZ Diploma in Architectural Technology (NZDAT) 2018
- Maoaki Huang – top achiever in NZ Diploma of Construction Management (CM) 2018
- David Watson – top achiever in Bachelor of Construction (BCONS) first year across all majors 2018
- Lisa Humphrey – top achiever in BCONS second year CM major 2018
- Maria Zaiat – top achiever in final year BCONS CM major 2018
- Rory Carter – Theo Oettlé Award Finalist and runner up (highest grades across all of the final L7 papers on the BCONS and then judged by the Northern Chapter (NC) President and a NC Past President on the capstone research presentation, to decide the overall winner)
Dr Linda Kestle, Associate Professor, School of Building Construction at Unitec, said, “This was a huge achievement for our students, considering most or all are studying part-time whilst also holding down jobs in the industry. Receiving the NZIOB awards is important for our students’ profiles and future career prospects, as the awards place an emphasis on skills beyond just academic excellence.
“It also gives our students an added advantage in the workplace with many of our employers telling us that they highly rate our graduates as they’re work-ready with diverse skills and real-life experience.”
Study Construction Management Explore Building Construction Order brochure