- 15 (0.125 EFTS)
- To enable the students to develop an understanding of the management of breeding and nutrition in a range of animal species.
- Pre-requisites / Co-requisites:
- Topics include:
Value of animal breeding in NZ
Economic and social contribution of animal breeding to New Zealand; global market influences on NZ economy.
Animal selection in relation to desired breeding goals of industry or institutes; desired traits, ethics and welfare, genetics of selection, animal selection in practice.
Factors affecting reproductive performance, animal selection, climate, season, day length, management practice, breeding cycles and signs of oestrus, control of oestrus cycles, artificial breeding,
pregnancy, pregnancy diagnosis, and management, parturition and lactation, the growing animal and artificial rearing, preventative health care.
nutritional requirements, maintenance requirements, changes in nutritional requirement due to growth, pregnancy, lactation, activity, ill health and climate, nutritional management of the production cycle,
nutrient supply and utilisation, feed intake; physiological, physical, animal and feed factors, pastoral farming and pasture management in selected species.
- Choose your class for this course from the option(s) below. You will need to attend all the sessions in that class to complete the course. Where more than one class number is shown, choose one of them and attend all sessions within that class number. (Note: If a class is held in different locations at the same time, you only need to attend all the sessions in one of the locations.)
- There are no classes on public holidays.
You need to attend all sessions of this class as listed below.
|From – To||Session||Day||Time||Campus (Room)|
|23 Jul 18 - 24 Sep 18||Practical||Monday||15:00 - 17:00||Mt Albert (115-1023)|
|Lecture||Monday||10:30 - 11:30||Mt Albert (115-1023)|
|24 Jul 18 - 25 Sep 18||Practical||Tuesday||13:00 - 15:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|15 Oct 18 - 29 Oct 18||Lecture||Monday||10:30 - 11:30||Mt Albert (115-1023)|
|Practical||Monday||15:00 - 17:00||Mt Albert (115-1023)|
|16 Oct 18 - 30 Oct 18||Practical||Tuesday||13:00 - 15:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
- Note: This course is offered as part of Bachelor of Applied Science (Animal Management and Welfare), Bachelor of Applied Science (Biodiversity Management).