- 15 (0.125 EFTS)
- To introduce the basic fundamentals of a range of engineering disciplines.
- Pre-requisites / Co-requisites:
- Students must be admitted to the New Zealand Diploma in Engineering programme to enrol in this course.
- Topics include:
*SI units,Units conversion, Scalars, Vectors, Force,Components of a force, Analysis of concurrent force systems, Moment of a force, Conditions of static equilibrium,beam support reactions, First moment of area, Centroid, Centre of gravity,
Velocity, Acceleration, Linear motion; Newton's laws of motion; Friction on level surfaces;Work and Power; Potential- and Kinetic energy,Conservation of energy *Tensile-, Compressive- and Shear stress and strain; Tensile test, Elastic Modulus
Density, Specific gravity, Specific Weight, Viscosity, Pressure, head, gauge pressure, absolute pressure, manometers
*Electron flow, voltage, current, resistance, batteries, generators, Ohm's law, use of multimeter, AC and DC applied to resistive circuits
*Overview of the power distribution system, MEN system, protection and safety
*Radiant, conductive and convective heat energy
Thermal mass and thermal conductivity
Latent heat of vaporization and freezing
Simple temperature sensors and sources of errors in measurement
- Choose your class for this course from the option(s) below. You will need to attend all the sessions in that class to complete the course. Where more than one class number is shown, choose one of them and attend all sessions within that class number. (Note: If a class is held in different locations at the same time, you only need to attend all the sessions in one of the locations.)
- There are no classes on public holidays.
Class: 1771. This timetable is currently unavailable.
Class: 2032. This timetable is currently unavailable.
Class: 5581. This timetable is currently unavailable.
Class: 5864. This timetable is currently unavailable.
You need to attend all sessions of this class as listed below.
|From – To||Session||Day||Time||Campus (Room)|
|26 Jul 17 - 27 Sep 17||Lecture||Wednesday||08:30 - 12:30||Mt Albert (180-B001)|
|18 Oct 17 - 1 Nov 17||Lecture||Wednesday||08:30 - 12:30||Mt Albert (180-B001)|
Class: 6039. This timetable is currently unavailable.
Class: 6222. This timetable is currently unavailable.
Class: 9089. This timetable is currently unavailable.
- Note: This course is offered as part of New Zealand Diploma in Engineering (Civil), New Zealand Diploma in Engineering (Electrical), New Zealand Diploma in Engineering (Electronic).