- Current students
- Under 25s
What is the Ally Network
At Unitec, we stand for diversity and inclusion on and off campus.
In 2012 we joined the Trans-Tasman ALLY Network, one of the only tertiary institution in Aotearoa (New Zealand), and we strive to ensure all students and staff feel valued, respected and connected by creating an environment that values diverse sexualities and genders.
What do the ALLY Network do?
The ALLY Network provides workshops throughout the year, to students and staff, to raise consciousness around gender and sexuality. Students and staff can then opt in to join our network, Unitec ALLIES, who are committed to normalising diverse sexualities and genders.
Ally workshops are run throughout the year and are open to all students and staff.
The one-day ALLY workshop draws on personal experiences to raise consciousness about issues around gender and sexuality. The aim of these workshops is to develop skills and understanding of how to be truly inclusive.
Registrations are currently CLOSED
Preparation for workshop
- Thats so gay: Ash Beckham
- 8 Trans People Deliver Emotional And Inspiring Messages To Their Younger Selves
- Cathie Powell research presentation
Other ALLY resources
- Sexual Cultures in Aotearoa New Zealand Education
- LGBTQI+ Aotearoa Then & Now Documentary
- Pronouns - language matters
- 10 Misconceptions Every Trans Ally Needs to Understand
- Gender Minorities Aotearoa website
- TedEx clip : A trans man at the doctor
- LGBT Organizations in New Zealand
What is the role of an ALLY?
After attending an ALLY workshop, participants can choose to become an ALLY by making a commitment to the following:
- Publicly identify themselves as an ALLY with an electronic ALLY signoff and a door sign
- Help to raise awareness of DSG issues (Diverse Sexualities & Genders)
- Initiate conversations to challenge gendernormativity and heteronormativity on campus
- Become an advocate for the network and the importance of its place within Unitec
Diverse Gender Scholarship
Unitec has up to two scholarships, available each semester, to help develop more inclusive learning environments for gender diverse students. For more information, see our scholarships and awards page.