- Current students
IELTS Test Dates (Click to expand)
|9 May *|
|6 June *|
|2 July *|
|3 December *|
*AC indicates an Academic test, other dates provide both Academic and General Training modules.
Book your test
To book an IELTS test click the ‘Book online now’ button below. Please note, you will need an electronic version of your passport to upload and to accept the IELTS Terms and Conditions (PDF).
You can also view the availability of Unitec IELTS test dates by clicking below.
Please check the information about cancellations. According to IELTS policy, the IELTS Centre cannot make exceptions due to visa or travel difficulties. You must bring your original passport on the test day.
On the day of the IELTS test
- Please allow most of the day from 11:30am - 8.30pm
- Go to registration first for your finger-scan and photograph
- Leave your valuables at home as bags may not be taken into the exam room
- The Listening/Reading/Writing test takes approximately three hours
- The Speaking Test takes 11-14 minutes and is held after the Writing Test
Please note, we cannot accept the passport number written on your application form without verification. You must bring your original passport on the test day.
Which test should I take?
IELTS Academic is designed for people planning to study in higher education or those seeking professional registration. It assesses whether you are ready to begin studying or training in an environment where English is the language used.
IELTS General Training
The IELTS General Training test has been developed to test your English in a practical, real-life situation. You may need the IELTS General Training test for entry into secondary education, a college or education training centre, or to migrate to an English speaking country.
Before you book your IELTS test, we recommend that you check with your educational institution, workplace or immigration department to check which test format is accepted.
- Answer ALL questions on the application form
- Read the terms and conditions carefully especially the information about cancellation and postponement
- You need an electronic copy of your passport. Please note a New Zealand Driver’s License may not be used as a proof of identity for IELTS purposes
- Include all necessary information e.g. passport number, date of birth, country code
- Original passport is required on the test day
- Plan carefully before giving your passport to immigration for visas
- Allow at least four weeks for processing of visas
- Tell Immigration the date you will need your passport back for the IELTS test (for example, a day or two before your test).
Payment for IELTS test
The cost of the test is NZ$385.00 (including GST)*. Payment is required at the time or within 2 days of your online application. Details on how to pay is included in the application.
* Please note, the test fee may change without notice.
IELTS sample materials
Access to an online training course with up to 25 hours of practice material in reading, writing, speaking or listening is included when you book your test at Unitec. The DVD version of the IELTS sample materials is also available for purchase from the reception of Building 170 Mt Albert Campus for NZ $50.00 (including GST).
Cancellations or postponement
You can cancel your IELTS test and receive a refund if you contact us five weeks or more before your scheduled test date. There is an administration fee of $80.00. No refund will be given for cancellation five weeks or less, prior to the test date.
You can postpone your IELTS test if you contact us five weeks or more before your scheduled test date. There is an administration fee of $80.00. No postponement is allowed five weeks or less before the test date.
What if I am absent or sick on the test day?
If you are away on the test day with no prior notice, you will lose your full fee. However, in cases of serious illness, if you provide a medical certificate within five days of the test date, you will receive a refund minus the administrative cost of $80.00. To cancel or postpone your test, please contact the IELTS Test Centre firstname.lastname@example.org or call +64 9 892 8668.
You can find out more about IELTS on the official IELTS website or the IELTS Essentials website. If you have any questions about the IELTS test, please contact the IELTS Test Centre on +64 9 892 8668 or email email@example.com. You are also free to download the IELTS Information for Candidates below.