- Current students
This programme is open for applications for 2019.
Study English to increase your skills in understanding, reflection and intercultural competence in an academic context. Unitec employs the latest teaching practices, uses collaborative learning spaces, and provides a true campus and community experience. This programme will prepare you for success in range of degree level programmes including business, computing and creative industries.
- Learn how to listen, read, write and speak in English in academic contexts
- Get the language and study skills to succeed in academic study
- Use the latest technology and apps to help you learn
- Study five English for Academic Purposes Unit Standards and gain credits towards meeting UE literacy requirements
- Get access to great teachers and equipment (including a well-equipped Library, Language Learning Centre and computer labs)
- Learn in a fast and flexible 16 week programme
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Write well-structured, developed, moderately complex academic texts
- Continue your education with the New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Level 5) or combine your studies with a degree programme
- Participate effectively in group work and engage in spoken academic language.
For this programme, you will need the following:
- Be 16 years old by the time the programme starts
- A New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Applied) (Level 3) or equivalent, or achieve an appropriate score on Unitec's Language Studies English Language Placement Test.
Don’t meet these requirements? We also accept:
- Sufficient evidence to be eligible for special or discretionary admission.
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses, please click on the course names below. Please note that our systems are updating with new course timetable information for 2019; please check back again soon.
|Oral & Text-based Skills (L4 Academic) (EAPL4190)||30 credits (0.25 EFTS)||This course develops students’ English language skills so that they can participate effectively in the study of English at Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) mid B2 level in an academic context.|
|English for Academic Purposes (L4) (EAPL4191)||30 credits (0.25 EFTS)||This course develops students? language skills so that they can communicate independently and effectively at CEFR mid B2 level in familiar and some less familiar situations, with fluency and flexibility in academic English language contexts.|