- Current students
- Under 25s
This English programme is applied in an academic context, and designed to further develop your English language and study skills in preparation for further study in a specific field.
Unitec employs the latest teaching practices, uses collaborative learning spaces, and provides a true campus and community experience, so you'll be prepared for success in a range of subjects:
- Foundation and Bridging Education
- Animal Management and Welfare
- Automotive Engineering
- Building and Carpentry
- Computing and Information Technology
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Landscape and Garden Design
- Plumbing, Gasfitting and Drainlaying
- Social Work and Community Development
Is this the right level for me?
If you're not sure, feel free to take this free online test to help you determine what English programme to apply for. Alternatively, simply apply and we can move you into the right programme after you sit the placement test (if required).
Where to from here?
Most students who successfully complete this programme can move into the New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 4), as well as any Unitec programme that requires IELTS 5.5, including most Level 4 Certificates.
Please note: International students who graduate will NOT be eligible for a post-study work visa upon completion of this programme.
For this programme, you will need the following:
- To be at least 16 years old by the time the programme begins
- A New Zealand Certificate in English Language (General) (Level 3) or equivalent, IELTS (Academic) with an overall score of 5.0 with no band lower than 4.5, or achieve an appropriate score on Unitec's Language Studies English Language Placement Test.
If you don’t meet these requirements, you may still apply under special or discretionary entrance.
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses including timetables, please click on the course names below.
|Oral & Text-based Skills (L3) (EAPL3150)||30.0 credits (0.25 EFTS)||This course develops the language skills required for students to participate effectively at CEFR low B2 level in routine academic English language contexts.|
|English for Academic Purposes (L3) (EAPL3151)||30.0 credits (0.25 EFTS)||To develop students’ English language skills to enable them to communicate with some independence and fluency in order to participate in routine academic English language contexts at CEFR low B2 level.|
|English for the Workplace (L3) (EAPL3152)||30.0 credits (0.25 EFTS)||To develop students’ English language skills to enable them to communicate with some independence and fluency in order to participate in routine workplace contexts|