- Current students
This English programme is applied in an academic context, and designed to further develop your English language and study skills in preparation for further study in a specific field.
- Learn how to listen, read, write and speak English in different situations
- Get the language and study skills to succeed in academic study or community context
- Prepare for further study in higher-level Certificate or Diploma programmes
- Gain an understanding of ethical, bicultural and social issues in NZ
- Learn in a fast and flexible 16-week programme
- Use the latest technology and apps to help you learn
- Get access to great teachers and equipment (including a well-equipped Library, English Language Centre, and computer labs)
Where to from here?
Most students who successfully complete this programme can move into the New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 4), as well as any Unitec programme that requires IELTS 5.5.
Please note: International students who graduate will NOT be eligible for a post-study work visa upon completion of this programme.
Is this the right level for me?
If you're not sure, feel free to take this free online test to help you determine what English programme to apply for.
Alternatively, simply apply and we can move you into the right programme after you sit the placement test (if required).
For this programme, you will need the following:
- To be at least 16 years old by the time the programme begins
- A New Zealand Certificate in English Language (General) (Level 3) or equivalent, IELTS (Academic) with an overall score of 5.0 with no band lower than 4.5, or achieve an appropriate score on Unitec's Language Studies English Language Placement Test.
If you don’t meet these requirements, you may still apply under special or discretionary entrance.
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses including timetables, please click on the course names below.
|Oral & Text-based Skills (L3) (EAPL3150)||30.0 credits (0.25 EFTS)||This course develops the language skills required for students to participate effectively at CEFR low B2 level in routine academic English language contexts.|
|English for Academic Purposes (L3) (EAPL3151)||30.0 credits (0.25 EFTS)||To develop students’ English language skills to enable them to communicate with some independence and fluency in order to participate in routine academic English language contexts at CEFR low B2 level.|