Social Practice

More and more people choose to work with their communities – in voluntary and cultural organisations, or national and local government agencies, and as community developers, counsellors, social workers, not-for-profit managers or volunteers. If you want to improve people's lives, unitec can get you started.

Strong links with the community and not-for-profit sector are our strength. We are members of the Aotearoa New Zealand Association of Social Workers, the Social Workers Registration Board, the New Zealand Association of Counsellors and other industry organisations.

We also work closely with community organisations around New Zealand and the Pacific. Organisations like te Waipuna Puawai, Safer Homes in New Zealand Everyday, the Problem Gambling Foundation and the New Zealand Federation of Voluntary Welfare Organisations have helped us develop our courses.

Our staff have expertise in child advocacy, social work, counselling, refugee support, bi-culturalism, community development and mental health. Many of them have active roles in community and national organisations. We also often invite guest lecturers who are experts in their fields. For you this means that what you learn in the classroom reflects the real challenges the community and not-for-profit sector face.

It's a collaborative learning environment, with students of different ages, cultures and professional backgrounds. it's a flexible environment too. Block courses, part-time study, not-for-profit management courses offered across new Zealand and the pacific… we make it easy to fit study around your life.


Social Practice programmes 

If you're just starting out:

Bridgepoint foundation education programmes will get you ready to apply for certificate, diploma or degree level study. Find out more about Bridgepoint programmes on offer.

To prepare yourself for further study in social practice:

  • Certificate in Community Skills – 1 semester full-time, pathway into the Bachelor of Social Practice, Graduate Diploma in Not-for-Profit Management or National Certificate in Mental Health.

If you want to work in community development:

 If you want to work in counselling:

  • Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling – 18 months part-time, for students who have an undergraduate degree and work experience in social practice, emphasis on Narrative Therapy, leads to provisional membership of the New Zealand Association of Counsellors.

If you want a career as a social worker:

If you already have work experience and an undergraduate degree in a field of social practice:


Last edited: 19 September 2013  

Programme Brochure
Graduate Profile
  • Shireen Tresslor

    "My counselling practice focuses on the stories of people's lives and ...