Certificate in Foundation Studies (Level 3)
|Programme summary||Career opportunities||Courses & timetables||Admission requirements|
3, 60 0.5 (4 courses)
Full-time for 16 weeks or part-time options available
Starts February or July
Number of places open
Mt Albert campus | Waitakere campus | Northern campus
Semester dates for 2014:
Semester 1: 24 February - 27 June; Semester 2: 21 July - 21 November
NZ$2047 (Approximate fee only, find out more about the costs of study)
Want another chance at formal education? Gain the tertiary study skills, background knowledge and confidence to succeed in your future studies and the workplace. Learn in a supportive adult learning environment.
Thinking about doing a certificate or diploma but not sure you're ready for it? The Certificate in Foundation Studies (Level 3) is a bridging programme that prepares you for the next step in your education or career. When you have completed the programme you can apply for a range of certificates and diplomas at Unitec and other tertiary education providers.
Or, if your goal is to study for a degree, you can go onto the Certificate of University Preparation (Level 4). This prepares you to apply for a degree at a university, institute of technology or polytechnic in New Zealand.
- Develop the skills and confidence for further study at certificate or diploma level.
- A pathway into the Certificate of University Preparation, if you want to apply for a degree programme.
- Guidance designing a learning pathway that gets you where you want to go.
- A supportive study environment: our lecturers are friendly and knowledgeable, and you'll be studying alongside students of different ages and ethnic backgrounds.
- A mix of group and individual work, seminars, debates, whanau hui, oral and written exercises, and self-directed learning.
- Pre-entry assessment to make sure you are studying at the right level.
To complete the Certificate you need to pass four courses, totalling 60 credits. 45 of these credits must be at level 3. Each course is worth 15 credits.
Choose your career pathway
This programme around career pathways and we offer different pathways at each of our three campuses. See what pathways are available in Semester 1 2014 (PDF document). These will be updated for Semester Two 2014 shortly.
Please note the Certificate in Foundation Studies (Level 3) is not suitable for students with English as an additional language who need an intensive English language course.
Study for free with the Youth Guarantee scheme
The Certificate in Foundation Studies (Level 3) is eligible for Youth Guarantee scheme funding for full-time students aged 16 or 17. See the Youth Guarantee scheme page for more information.
Last edited: 09 April 2014