Free4U - A Short History

Brief history about Free4U Computing.

  • The Free4U Henderson Classroom began in the 357 Arcade back in 2002.  It started as a Key4Free classroom, working in conjunction with the Warehouse Stationery Store in Lincoln Road and MIT.  
  • Warehouse Stationery and Manukau Institute of Technology combined to provide many FreeB computer classrooms (for New Zealand Citizens and Permanent Residents) around NZ in early 2000’s.  These were in response to an initiative by the Government of New Zealand identifying a need for adult New Zealanders and Permanent Residents to develop computer skills.
  • Unitec took over Free4B from MIT and the branding was changed to Free4U.
  • In 2008 Unitec opened a Free4U branch in Takapuna.
  • In 2011 the Free4U Takapuna branch moved to Free4U Albany.
  • In September 2012 Ash Bennett started as Team Leader of Free4U and Frances Gillam started as a Casual Faciltator.

2013

  • Our Free4U Booking System was redesigned in early 2013.
  • Free4U began Office 2010 courses in March 2013
  • In 2013 Free4U had 1171 students.
  • At the 2013 Unitec Staff Awards Ash Bennett (Team Leader of Free4U) won the IBM Innovation & Enterprise award and came runner up in the Being an Excellent Business award.

2014

  • For the duration of the Unitec Outlook project in late 2014, Free4U offered introductory Outlook training to Unitec staff at Mt Albert, Henderson and Albany and intermediate training to Unitec staff at Henderson and Albany.  Free4U trained 166 Unitec staff as part of the Outlook project.
  • In 2014 Free4U had 1172 students.

2015

  • In 2015 Free4U Albany introduced a 2pm session and changed times to be in sync with Henderson.
  • Free4U began Office 2013 courses in late September 2015 including Outlook.
  • In 2015 Free4U had 799 students.

2016

  • Free4U Henderson relocated from the 357 Arcade to the Unitec Waitakere Campus - first day at Unitec Waitakere Campus was Thu 18 Feb.
  • Free4U joined the Bridgepoint Network in May 2016.

2017

  • Free4U Albany closed at 10 Rothwell Ave on Wed 31st May.