Do you want to advance your career in the education sector, but can't commit to long-term study? The Postgraduate Certificate in Educational Leadership and Management delivers professional learning for current and aspiring leaders in all education sectors and agencies. It gives you the skills to enhance learning and teaching. You explore both theory and practice at an advanced level, and learn in a supportive environment from lecturers who are experts in their field.
- A strong focus on professional practice.
- A contemporary and academically sound form of in-depth professional development that ensures your learning is relevant to your career and to today's education environment.
- A chance to share knowledge and experience with other education professionals.
- Academic staff with a wealth of experience in practical and research settings in public and private educational organisations.
- A combination of intensive on-campus study (held during nationally recognised non-teaching breaks) and open learning.
- Part-time or full-time study options available.
- Cross-credit towards the Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Leadership and Management, the Master of Educational Leadership and Management or the Master of Education.
For this programme, you will need the following:
1. A recognised Bachelor’s degree in the same or similar discipline, with an average grade of B- of higher in all Level 7 courses; OR
2. A professional qualification in a relevant discipline, recognised as equivalent to the above.
3. A minimum of three years of appropriate work experience in an educational organisation.
4. Practising status in an educational organisation so you are able to conduct institution-based assignment work and adopt an institution-wide perspective of educational leadership and management.
5. 8 credits at NCEA Level 2 in English (4 in reading, 4 in writing).
6. If English is your second language, you are required to have one or more of the following:
- Have achieved NCEA Level 3 and New Zealand University entrance
- Be able to provide evidence you satisfy our criteria for existing English proficiency
- Have achieved at least one English proficiency outcome in the last two years]
Don’t meet the requirements? We also accept:
- Provide sufficient evidence to be eligible for special admission.
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses including timetables, please click on the course names below.
|Leadership in Education (EDUC8881)||30 credits (0.25 EFTS)||Students will critically examine the core and contemporary leadership theories relevant to educational practice and settings. Aspects of leadership related to the management of diversity will be explored. Central to critical enquiry in this course is the concept of educational leadership.|
|Education Policy and Strategy (EDUC8882)||30 credits (0.25 EFTS)||Students will critically examine and interpret education policy. They will gain an understanding of and ability to apply and evaluate concepts of quality, strategic and financial management, and strategic marketing in educational settings.|
|Human Resources in Education (EDUC8883)||30 credits (0.25 EFTS)||Students will critically examine the theory and practice of human resources management, including performance management and leadership development in educational settings. Students will also apply theories of organisational learning to the resolution of organisational and people problems.|
The 'Key Information for Students' below does not reflect any international student information.
Please take this information as a guideline only. For example, you will often see a difference between these tuition fees and our estimate above. This is because there are a number of variables, such as the specific courses chosen within a programme.
The national graduate outcomes information is for all tertiary New Zealand providers including Unitec. This information is provided by the New Zealand Government and is derived from a national database that links educational and income information.
Key Information for Students
Entry requirementsMinimum requirements: A relevant degree with average grade requirements or a relevant professional qualification, 3 years work experience in an educational organisation, currently work in an educational organisation and English requirements. Special admission also accepted
Detailed requirements: See the above "Admission requirements" section for more information about entry to this progrogramme.
|Government tuition subsidy:||$3,710||$3,710|
National graduate outcomes
|(3 years after completion)|
|Earnings range||$46,056 - $70,743|
|In further study||19%|
|On a benefit||1%|
Note:All KIS information is the most recent available relating to domestic students only. Click here for more information about the Key Information for Students.