- 15 (0.125 EFTS)
- To introduce students to the fundamental theories, concepts and techniques of contemporary dance practice. The course focuses on building capability for dancers in a range of dance techniques and to build habits and attitudes required for the profession.
- Pre-requisites / Co-requisites:
- Students must be admitted to the Bachelor of Performing and Screen Arts programme to enrol in this course.
- Topics include:
May include but are not limited to
Alignment principles Applied anatomy Ballet technique Connections between dance and musical phrasing Contemporary Dance Technique Corrective and self-disciplinary attitudes and practices
Dance technologies Imagery and text Improvisation Integration of gravity, weight and flow Interpretative qualities Locomotion and movement modes Movement clarity and mind/body integration
Movement related training systems Music theories Musical rhythms Muscle and Bone Nutrition Physical dexterity Pilates
Precision, control and vitality Use of centre Safe Dance Practice Sensitivity and strength Somatic studies Sound The body in space and in relation to others Yoga
Learning and teaching approaches
Topics may be taught in an integrated manner in both practical/workshop/lab and lecture/seminar/tutorial modes
Collaborative learning and project environments Activities include self-directed learning, individual and class exercises, field trips, work in groups, guest lectures & on-line blog/journal
Feedback is sought throughout the course using a range of assessment tools including
Formal reflection, class forum and survey
- Choose your class for this course from the option(s) below. You will need to attend all the sessions in that class to complete the course. Where more than one class number is shown, choose one of them and attend all sessions within that class number. (Note: If a class is held in different locations at the same time, you only need to attend all the sessions in one of the locations.)
- There are no classes on public holidays.
You need to attend all sessions of this class as listed below.
|From – To||Session||Day||Time||Campus (Room)|
|26 Feb 18 - 9 Apr 18||Studio||Monday||09:30 - 12:30||Mt Albert (007-1002)|
|27 Feb 18 - 10 Apr 18||Studio||Tuesday||09:30 - 12:30||Mt Albert (007-1002)|
|28 Feb 18 - 11 Apr 18||Studio||Wednesday||09:30 - 12:30||Mt Albert (007-1002)|
|1 Mar 18 - 12 Apr 18||Studio||Thursday||09:30 - 12:30||Mt Albert (007-1002)|
|30 Apr 18 - 25 Jun 18||Studio||Monday||09:30 - 12:30||Mt Albert (007-1002)|
|1 May 18 - 26 Jun 18||Studio||Tuesday||09:30 - 12:30||Mt Albert (007-1002)|
|2 May 18 - 27 Jun 18||Studio||Wednesday||09:30 - 12:30||Mt Albert (007-1002)|
|3 May 18 - 28 Jun 18||Studio||Thursday||09:30 - 12:30||Mt Albert (007-1002)|
- Note: This course is offered as part of Bachelor of Performing and Screen Arts (Contemporary Dance).