- 15 (0.125 EFTS)
- To introduce the principles of fluid mechanics and apply them in civil engineering hydraulic applications.
- Pre-requisites / Co-requisites:
- Students must be admitted to the New Zealand Diploma in Engineering programme to enrol in this course. Co-requisites: ENGG DE4101 & ENGG DE4102.
- Topics include:
Pressure and head, manometers, hydraulic lift (jack), resultant thrust on flat-, inclined and curved surfaces, buoyancy, types of flow (uniform, non-uniform, steady, unsteady),
Reynold's number, principle of continuity; fluid energy (Bernoulli), momentum principle, thrust on bends and reducers; overview of water and waste water systems
Major and minor losses, Single pipe analyses, pipes in parallel and series, pipe network analysis, computer applications, practical aspects of pipe system design
Manning's formula, best channel sections, circular conduits, specific energy, critical depth, sub- and super critical flow, Froude number, flow profiles, practical aspects of channel system design
Pump types and applications, turbine types and applications, operating characteristics of centrifugal pumps, pump system optimisation, series vs parallel pumps, variable speed pumps, NPSH.
Sharp- and broad crested weirs, flumes, flow orifices, flow nozzles, flow meters and gauges (magnetic flow meters, etc)
- Choose your class for this course from the option(s) below. You will need to attend all the sessions in that class to complete the course. Where more than one class number is shown, choose one of them and attend all sessions within that class number. (Note: If a class is held in different locations at the same time, you only need to attend all the sessions in one of the locations.)
- There are no classes on public holidays.
You need to attend all sessions of this class as listed below.
|From – To||Session||Day||Time||Campus (Room)|
|30 Apr 18 - 7 May 18||Lab||Monday||08:30 - 10:30||Mt Albert (114-1004)|
|3 May 18 - 10 May 18||Lab||Thursday||13:00 - 15:00||Mt Albert (114-1004)|
|Thursday||15:00 - 17:00||Mt Albert (114-1004)|
|27 Feb 18 - 10 Apr 18||Lecture||Tuesday||09:30 - 11:30||Mt Albert (115-2017)|
|1 May 18 - 5 Jun 18||Lecture||Tuesday||09:30 - 11:30||Mt Albert (115-2017)|
|28 Feb 18 - 11 Apr 18||Lecture||Wednesday||10:30 - 12:30||Mt Albert (112-2001)|
|2 May 18 - 6 Jun 18||Lecture||Wednesday||10:30 - 12:30||Mt Albert (112-2001)|
- Note: This course is offered as part of New Zealand Diploma in Engineering (Civil).