- 15 (0.125 EFTS)
- To enable the student to understand the relationship between fundamental theoretical concerns and choreographic and performance practice. This course focuses on collaboration and establishing the fundamental habits and methodologies appropriate for contemporary dance choreography and performance.
- Pre-requisites / Co-requisites:
- Students must be admitted to the Bachelor of Performing and Screen Arts programme to enrol in this course.
- Topics include:
Bodies in space Choreographic forms, techniques and structures Choreographic Studies Choreography
Compositional elements and principles of dance choreography Compositional Skills Creative ideas Dance vocabularies
Devising Idiosyncratic and personal movement Improvisation techniques and strategies Interpreting work
Music for Choreography Open and flexible attitude Performance Performance Skills Performance technologies
Production Production elements Professional preparation and presentation practices Rehearsal and performance protocols
Respond to a variety of stimuli Solo and small group works Spontaneously create and manipulate movement
Technical and artistic clarity Use of gesture, symbolism, poetics and abstraction in dance Use of space, time, shape, quality, and dynamic
Learning and teaching approaches
Topics may be taught in an integrated manner in both practical/workshop/lab and lecture/seminar/tutorial modes
Collaborative learning and project environments Activities include self-directed learning, individual and class exercises, field trips, work in groups, guest lectures & on-line blog/journal
Feedback is sought throughout the course using a range of assessment tools including
Formal reflection, class forum and survey
- Choose your class for this course from the option(s) below. You will need to attend all the sessions in that class to complete the course. Where more than one class number is shown, choose one of them and attend all sessions within that class number. (Note: If a class is held in different locations at the same time, you only need to attend all the sessions in one of the locations.)
- There are no classes on public holidays.
You need to attend all sessions of this class as listed below.
|From – To||Session||Day||Time||Campus (Room)|
|26 Feb 18 - 9 Apr 18||Studio||Monday||13:30 - 16:30||Mt Albert (007-1002)|
|27 Feb 18 - 10 Apr 18||Studio||Tuesday||13:30 - 16:30||Mt Albert (007-1002)|
|1 Mar 18 - 12 Apr 18||Studio||Thursday||13:30 - 16:30||Mt Albert (007-1002)|
|2 Mar 18 - 13 Apr 18||Studio||Friday||13:30 - 16:30||Mt Albert (007-1002)|
|30 Apr 18 - 25 Jun 18||Studio||Monday||13:30 - 16:30||Mt Albert (007-1002)|
|1 May 18 - 26 Jun 18||Studio||Tuesday||13:30 - 16:30||Mt Albert (007-1002)|
|3 May 18 - 28 Jun 18||Studio||Thursday||13:30 - 16:30||Mt Albert (007-1002)|
|4 May 18 - 29 Jun 18||Studio||Friday||13:30 - 16:30||Mt Albert (007-1002)|
- Note: This course is offered as part of Bachelor of Performing and Screen Arts (Contemporary Dance).