- 15.0 (0.125 EFTS)
- To enable students to appropriately apply the practical application of ’best practice’ husbandry and veterinary nursing, required for range of animals within a veterinary clinic.
- Pre-requisites / Co-requisites:
- Students must be admitted to the New Zealand Certificate in Animal Technology programme to enrol in this course. Co-requisite: NSCI5705. Students must enrol in both NSCI5710-SA & NSCI5710-SB to complete this course.
- Topics include:
- Husbandry in clinical settings, including but not limited to
specific husbandry requirements for a range of animal species and disease conditions, safe animal handling and restraint for clinical procedures, animal health checks and assessment of patients.
- Skills of a veterinary nurse assistant, including but not limited to
Support of the veterinarian in clinical procedures, care and maintenance of veterinary equipment and facilities, codes of conduct, safe working practices and regulations,
efficient and effective care of patients (including hospitalised patients), surgical procedures, preparation for surgery, monitoring and nursing requirements, wound care, nutrition (including prescription diets),
recording and reporting administration of treatments, assisting with diagnostic procedures (including assisting with radiography, running in-house lab tests, and packaging samples)
Patient records and client relations, customer service and care, relevant legislation.
- Choose your class for this course from the option(s) below. You will need to attend all the sessions in that class to complete the course. Where more than one class number is shown, choose one of them and attend all sessions within that class number. (Note: If a class is held in different locations at the same time, you only need to attend all the sessions in one of the locations.)
- There are no classes on public holidays.
You need to attend all sessions of this class as listed below.
|From – To||Session||Day||Time||Campus (Room)|
|27 Feb 18 - 10 Apr 18||Practical||Tuesday||13:00 - 16:00||Mt Albert (115-3010)|
|1 May 18 - 5 Jun 18||Practical||Tuesday||13:00 - 16:00||Mt Albert (115-3010)|
Class: 1831. This timetable is currently unavailable.
- Note: This course is offered as part of New Zealand Certificate in Animal Technology (Veterinary Nursing Assistant).