- Current students
- Under 25s
The Whai Ake mentoring programme aims to provide a strong support system for Māori students who are new to tertiary education. Whai Ake is about growing Māori student leadership capability, increasing first-year completions, and lifting Māori student academic success and retention overall in tertiary study. The scholarship is designed to support Whai Ake tauira to engage with their culture throughout their journey at Te Whare Wānanga o Wairaka. This scholarship also provides financial support for education-related costs.
|Award value: $2,000||Number available: Varies|
|Provider: Unitec Maia Māori Centre|
|Contact: Jonyne Mariu-Komene firstname.lastname@example.org|
15th March 2021
Eligibility for Whai Ake Maori Mentoring scholarship
To be eligible for the Scholarship, an applicant must meet all of the following criteria:
- New Zealand citizen or holder of a New Zealand Permanent Resident visa.
- Be starting their first semester of a Certificate, Diploma or Degree Level programme at Unitec in Semester 1.
- Have not completed any prior study at Unitec.
- Must be enrolled at Unitec as a New Zealand Maori.
- Preference may be given to applicants aged between 18-25 years
Selection criteria, as demonstrated in the interview
- Motivation to succeed in their chosen course
- Commitment to the Whai Ake Programme
- Commitment to benefiting their local and Unitec communities,
- Demonstrated organisational and time management skills
Please read the Scholarship Regulations for full details.
Need help or have more questions? Email the Whai ake i te Ara Tika Academic Co-ordinator Jonyne Mariu-Komene email@example.com.
Still want more info? Find out more at Whai Ake Scholarship.