- Current students
- Under 25s
The Whai Ake mentoring programme aims to provide a strong support system for Māori students in tertiary education. Whai Ake is about growing Māori student leadership capability and lift Māori student success and retention overall in tertiary study. The scholarship is designed to help support Whai Ake participants, by providing a platform for our Māori students to engage with their culture that will empower them throughout their journey at Unitec and provides financial support for education related costs.
|Award value: $1,000||Number available: Varies|
|Provider: Unitec Māia Centre|
|Contact: Jonyne Mariu-Komene email@example.com|
15th March 2021
Eligibility for Whai Ake Maori Mentoring Scholarship - Mentors
To be eligible for the Scholarship, an applicant must meet all of the following criteria:
- New Zealand citizen or holder of a New Zealand Permanent Resident visa.
- Must meet the entry criteria for the selected programme of study.
- Be a current full-time Unitec student enrolled in a Diploma or Degree Level programme as a second, third or fourth year student at Unitec.
- Be enrolled as a New Zealand Maori.
- Preference may be given to applicants:
- Aged between 18-25 years
- Have previously completed Whai Ake as a Teina
- Have been a Whai Ake Tuakana in previous years
Selection Criteria as demonstrated at the interview
- Motivation to succeed in their chosen course
- Commitment to the Whai Ake Programme, supporting Teina, and attending Tuakana training
- Commitment to benefiting their local and Unitec communities
- Demonstrated organisational and time management skills
Please read our Whai Ake Maori Mentoring Scholarships Regulations for more information
Applications closed for 2021
Need help or have more questions? Email the Whai ake i te Ara Tika Academic Co-ordinator Jonyne Mariu-Komene firstname.lastname@example.org.
Still want more info? Find out more at Whai Ake Scholarship.