- Current students
- Under 25s
Kā Pūtea Scholarships
Kā Pūtea Scholarships are available to all registered Ngāi Tahu members studying towards an NZQA-recognised tertiary qualification or an international equivalent. The scholarships aim to support higher learning and help students connect with their Ngāi Tahutanga.
Kā Pūtea Scholarships are awarded based on applicants' academic achievements and their engagement with whānau, hapū, or iwi-related activities.
|Award value: $1,500 - 5,000||Number available: 58 Undergraduate awards & 24 Postgraduate scholarships|
|Provider: Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu|
kā Pūtea Scholarships are not available to first year students who are eligible for the Fees Free initiative.
Open 6 February 2022 | Closes 7 April 2023
There are 58 Undergraduate Targeted Scholarships available for individuals studying a Certificate to level 7 and 24 Postgraduate Scholarships.
To be eligible, you must:
- be enrolled as a Māori student
- be a registered Ngāi Tahu member
- have evidence of previous years’ study i.e. academic transcript
- have an outline of Ngā Tahu/ Papatipu Rūnanga involvement
- have a Statement of support for your application i.e. a letter from a Ngāi Tahu member or Ngāi Tahu associated group who can attest to your suitability for a Kā Pūtea Scholarship.
- Prepared essay (no more than 1,000 words
- Undergraduate question: Please explain how you plan to use the skills and knowledge obtained from your tertiary studies to show evidence of reciprocity to Ngāi Tahu iwi, whānau and hapū.
- Postgraduate question: Select ONE of the below seven key areas and provide an essay discussing how your qualification(s) will impact the advancement of Ngāi Tahu in your chosen area.
- Mahinga kai
- Mahi Toi
- NB: Supporting documentation must be verified copies of originals