- Current students
This English programme is designed to give you general English and study skills and is the first step in your English learning journey.
- Learn how to communicate in different situations from the workplace to community activities
- Get the language and study skills to succeed in academic study
- Prepare for further study in higher-level certificate programmes
- Gain an understanding of ethical, bicultural and social issues in NZ
- Learn in a fast and flexible 16-week programme
- Use the latest technology and apps to help you learn
- Get access to great teachers and equipment (including a well-equipped Library, English Language Centre and computer labs)
Where to from here?
Successful completion of this programme will allow you entry into the New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Applied) (Level 3), as well as any other Unitec programme that requires IELTS 5.0.
Please note: International students who graduate will NOT be eligible for a post study work visa upon completion of this programme.
Is this the right level for me?
If you're not sure, feel free to take this free online test to help you determine what English programme to apply for.
Alternatively, simply apply and we can move you into the right programme after you sit the placement test (if required).
For this programme, you will need the following:
- Be 16 years old by the time the programme starts
- A New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Level 2) or equivalent, or achieve an appropriate score on Unitec's Language Studies English Language Placement Test.
Don't meet these requirements? We also accept:
- Sufficient evidence to be eligible for special or discretionary admission.
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses, please click on the course names below. Please note that our systems are updating with new course timetable information for 2020; the course timetables for 2020 will be available in mid-November.
|Oral Skills (Level 3) (EAPL3154)||30.0 credits (0.25 EFTS)||This course develops students’ speaking and listening skills on familiar and routine topics at CEFR high B1 level.|
|Text-Based Skills (Level 3) (EAPL3155)||30.0 credits (0.25 EFTS)||This course develops students’ reading and writing skills on familiar and routine topics at CEFR high B1 level.|