- Current students
- Under 25s
Te Puna Waiora Medical Practice closed on Thursday 30 November 2023.
Te Puna Waiora Counselling, Mental Services remain open and available for all students to access.
Contact us to book an appointment
- Location: Unitec Mt Albert campus, Level 0 of Building 180 (Te Puna) open in Google maps
- Hours: Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm. After-hours options.
- Phone: 0800 10 85 10
- Online: book online
- Email: email@example.com
Reminder If you have any symptoms of cold and flu such as a sore throat, cough, fever, runny/blocked nose, or shortness of breath, let us know as soon as possible.
On this page:
- Services we provide
- Make or cancel an appointment
- Fees and costs
- Paying for your appointment
- After-hours care options
- Your rights as a patient
- Other services at Unitec and in the community
We offer a wide range of health and wellness services for students (domestic and international) and staff.
Health and wellness services
- COVID-19 testing. We do not give COVID-19 vaccinations.
- Psychological concerns – e.g. depression, anxiety and stress-related issues. Refer to the Counselling page for further support.
- Sexual and reproductive health checks and advice – e.g. emergency contraception, testing for sexually transmitted infections, pregnancy tests, cervical smears and free condoms.
- Acute assessment - first aid for wounds, burns, and accidents.
- Vaccinations - Immunisations including Tetanus, MMR and Influenza. We do not give COVID-19 vaccinations or travel vaccines.
- Health promotion and prevention – education and advice for quitting smoking.
- Healthy lifestyle advice – including how to lead a healthy lifestyle, help you with your diet and how to manage a health condition (e.g. blood pressure, asthma, depression, anxiety).
- Off work certificates for work and your studies (see Affected Performance Consideration).
You will need to make an appointment to see one of the centre's nurses.
When making an appointment, please be sure to have your Student ID card handy. If you have a Community Services Card, bring it with you. For proof of identity please bring in your Birth Certificate or Passport.
For International students, you will also need to bring in your visa and insurance details.
Your first appointment will be with a Nurse who will assess and record your health history and baseline recordings.
Cancelling an appointment
If you can not make, or need to change your appointment, you need to let us know as soon as possible. To cancel or change an appointment, visit us in person, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone 0800 10 85 10.
If you want to talk to our Nurse
The cost will depend on a number of things:
- If you are already enrolled with us as your primary healthcare provider.
- If you are an international or domestic student.
- If you hold a Community Services Card (CSC),
- If your injury is an Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) claim.
- If you have medical insurance.
- The reason for your appointment and which medical procedures or vaccinations might be required.
For domestic students, Community Services Card application forms are available at our reception desk. More information about the Community Services Card is on the Work and Income website.
Payment in full is required at the time of your appointment. You can pay by EFTPOS, credit card, debit card, cash, or online payments.
International travel and medical insurance
International students are required to have travel and medical insurance. Payment is expected at the time of the appointment and we issue a receipt, which can be used for your insurance claim.
Southern Cross Travel Insurance
For those with Southern Cross Travel Insurance, you will need to pay at the time of your appointment and then lodge a claim via the Southern Cross Travel Insurance website.
Other insurance providers
If you are covered by other insurance providers, you will be required to pay at the time of your appointment and then claim back from your insurance provider.
More information for International students about Medical and Travel Insurance.
To see a doctor outside of our opening hours, we recommend CareHQ. CareHQ is available Monday to Sunday from 7am to 9pm, for online appointments.
Visit the CareHQ website for more information.
For urgent care, the closest Accident & Medical Clinic to Unitec Mt Albert campus is White Cross St Lukes, located at 52 St Lukes Road, St Lukes. open in Google maps.
Your details and records are kept confidential. We operate under the Privacy Code. Patient confidentiality is considered extremely important, and your personal details and records will not be shared with anyone else, unless you have given your permission for us to do so.
When you use a health or disability service in New Zealand, you have the protection of a Code of Rights. For more information on the Code of Rights visit the Health & Disability Commissioner website - the code and your rights.
Information on how Te Puna Waiora Medical Centre will manage a complaint - Complaint Management Policy