- Current students
- Under 25s
Virtual consults available
COVID testing is available to Unitec staff, students and patients only at Te Puna Waiora Medical Centre by appointment only. Please phone to speak to staff for instructions and to make a booking.
Reminder If you have any symptoms of cold and flu such as a sore throat, cough, fever, runny/blocked nose, or shortness of breath, stay home. Please contact Healthline on 0800 358 5453 or your doctor to discuss your symptoms and advice on next steps.
What services we provide
We offer a wide range of health and wellness services at Te Puna Waiora for both domestic and international students and staff.
No matter what sort of medical treatment or advice you need, we’re here to help you feel better.
Health and wellness services
- Long-term medical illnesses – e.g. Diabetes, Asthma, and Hypertension, Epilepsy
- Acute Treatments for colds, insect bites, wounds, burns, and viral infections
- Sexual and reproductive health checks and advice – e.g. emergency contraception, sexually transmitted infections, pregnancy tests, cervical smears and condoms
- Vaccinations – travel vaccines, and routine immunisations, including Tetanus, MMR and Influenza
- Health promotion and prevention – education and advice for quitting smoking
- Healthy lifestyle advice – including how to lead a healthy lifestyle, helping you with your diet and how to manage a medical condition (e.g. blood pressure, Asthma, Diabetes)
- Screenings – cervical and early pregnancy screening, skin checks and procedures
- Minor surgical procedures and tests – e.g. suture removal, wart treatment, blood pressure checks
- Medical Certificates for work and your studies (see Affected Performance Consideration).
- Psychological concerns – e.g. depression, anxiety and stress-related issues [see Counselling page for further support]
- Urinary tract infections and thrush treatment
- ACC injury assessments and treatment
- Skin Clinic – treatment of skin conditions, e.g. acne, lesions, rashes and moles
How to enrol Te Puna Waiora as your GP
- Domestic students who enrol with Te Puna Waiora Medical Centre will be un-enrolled from their current GP. Te Puna Waiora will become your primary health care provider.
- Casual visits are available and will not change your current GP
- In most cases, International students that have gained a work/resident visa may enrol but must do so within 2 months of their visa issue date.
- Only current students can enrol, however students may remain enrolled after completing their studies. Students cannot enrol after completing their studies.
- Unitec staff are eligible to enrol anytime during their employment. Unitec staff will be unenrolled upon leaving Unitec employment.
Follow the steps below to enrol Te Puna Waiora as your GP:
- Download, print and complete the below enrolment form, or collect one from our reception desk
- Return the form to us by email or drop it off at our reception desk
To be able to save money on consultation fees you need to be enroled with us first.
When enroling with us, we’ll need verification of who you are, please bring with you a birth certificate or passport (original or certified copy). If you’re an international student, you’ll also need to bring your visa, along with your Health Insurance number and expiry date (original or certified copy).
How to make an appointment?
You'll need to make an appointment to see one of the Doctors or Nurses at the centre. You can make an appointment online, give us a call or visit us at the centre in person and speak to one of the friendly faces at our reception desk.
Book an appointment online
When making an appointment, please be sure to have your Student ID card handy.
Cancelling an appointment
If you can’t make or need to change your appointment, you need to let us know as soon as possible. To cancel or change an appointment, visit us in person, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone on 0800 10 85 10.
Want to talk to our Nurse first?
Want to know more about our services, or get advice or trusted information, feel free to talk to our nurses first. Phone them on 0800 10 85 10 or email email@example.com.
How much will it cost?
The cost will depend on a number of things:
- Whether you are enrolled with us as your primary health care provider,
- An international or domestic student,
- Hold a Community Services Card (CSC),
- It’s an Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) claim,
- Whether or not you have insurance,
- What medical procedure or vaccination.
For more information on costs, please select from below:
|ACC Doctor + Nurse||$40|
Staff + ex-students
|ACC Doctor + Nurse Initial Consultation||$30||$30||$20|
|ACC Doctor Follow-up||$10||$10||$8|
|ACC Nurse Follow-up||$5||$15||$5|
|Boostrix / Whoop cough||$45|
|Gardasil - HPV||$200|
|Hep A - Havrix||$135|
|Hep B - Energix||$35|
|Hep A / Typhoid - Vivaxim||$180|
|Typhoid - Typhim||$110|
|Chicken Pox / Varilrix||$70|
|Polio / IPOL||$110|
|Twinrix (Hep A+B)||$75|
|Blood Pressure Check||Free||$5-$15||$30|
|Crutches - Deposit||$45||$45||$45|
|Dressing - Non ACC||$10||$20||$30|
|Jadelle Remove/ Insertion||$50||$100||$50|
|Medical - Driving / Diving||$40||$60||$60|
|Minor Surgery - Per Lesion||$120-$250||$180-$250||$250-$300|
|Prescription – Faxed||$10||$25||$25|
|Prescription – Pick-up||$5||$15||$15|
|IV Fluids / Fe Infusion||$80||$120||$160|
Paying your account
Payment in full is required at the time of your appointment. You can pay by EFTPOS, credit card, debit card, cash, and online payments.
International travel and medical insurance*
International students are required to have travel and medical insurance, your insurance will determine whether or not you pay after your appointment or not.
Southern Cross Travel Insurance
For those with Southern Cross Travel Insurance, you’ll need to need to pay after your appointment and then lodge a claim via the Southern Cross Travel Insurance website.
For those with Unicare, you do not need to pay after your appointment this will be taken care of by your travel insurance and us.
Other insurance providers
For those with other insurance providers, you’ll need to check your policy and let us know. Otherwise, you’ll be required to pay after your appointment and then claim back from your insurance company.
For more information about insurance for International students, please see our Insurance page.
Location and hours
|Where||Building 180 (Te Puna), Level 0, Mt Albert Campus|
Monday: 8am - 5pm
After hour care
To see a doctor outside of our opening hours, we recommend CareHQ. CareHQ is available Monday - Sunday from 7am-7pm, for online appointments.
Go to https://www.carehq.co.nz/ to find out more
For urgent care, the closest Accident & Medical Clinic to Mount Albert campus is White Cross St Lukes, located at 52 St Lukes Road, St Lukes
Frequently asked questions (click to expand)
Are my details and records kept confidential?
Yes, we operate under the Privacy Code. Patient confidentiality is considered extremely important, and your personal details and records won't be shared with anyone else, unless you've given your permission for us to do so.
I don't have a Community Services Card. How do I get one?
Forms are available from the Te Punqa Waiora reception desk, or you can visit Work and Income for more information.
What should I expect on my first visit?
Your first visit will be with the Nurse who will assess and record your health history and baseline recordings.
What do I need to bring to my first visit?
Bring in your Student ID card to show us on arrival. If you have a Community Services Card, please bring it with you. For proof of identity please bring in your Birth Certificate or Passport.
For International students you'll also need to bring in your visa and insurance details.
What happens if I call you outside of normal hours?
Our service is connected to a registered nurse outside of hours, they can provide you with advice and information.
Know your rights as a patient
When you use a health or disability service in New Zealand, you have the protection of a Code of Rights. For more information on the Code of Rights, please see the Health & Disability Commissioner website.
Are you looking for
- Counselling Services
- Student Support Advisors
- International Student Support Advisors
- Disability Support Services - Access4Success
- Support services available in the community, see our External Support Services page