This programme is ideal if you want to go on to higher-level study in media production or screen arts, or aren't sure exactly what area to focus on.
The New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation specialising in Screen Arts will expose you to the basic principles of production, media interpretation, moving image study, as well as collaborative project-based learning.
- Emphasis on practical skills and project-based learning: you could be developing a performance piece based on a fable or myth, or making your own videos.
- Learn from Lecturers who are eager to share their industry experience with you.
- Access to Unitec's excellent performing arts facilities.
- A mix of classroom sessions, practical workshops, critique sessions, student seminars, discussions, presentations and online learning.
- Option to take some courses on a stand-alone basis.
- A chance to take classes in Unitec's marae, a great setting to explore Māori oratorical traditions and the role of culture in communication.
For this programme, you will need the following:
- A minimum of 12 credits at NCEA Level 1 in three different subjects, one subject must be English
- A minimum of 4 years secondary education
- Be 16 years old by the time the programme starts
- You may be required to present a portfolio of work or attend an interview or to a Skills Review session at our Mt Albert campus
- If English is not your first language you will need one or more of the following:
- Have achieved NCEA Level 3 and New Zealand University entrance
- Be able to provide evidence you satisfy our criteria for existing English proficiency
- Have achieved at least one English proficiency outcome in the last two years
Don’t meet these requirements? We also accept:
- A relevant qualification at Level 2 on the NZQF or above or an equivalent qualification; or
- Provide sufficient evidence to be eligible for special or discretionary admission.
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses including timetables, please click on the course names below.
|Identity and Communication (BPED4001)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course introduces pathway-related concepts and develops pathway-related academic skills in order to prepare students for further academic study in their chosen pathway.|
|Interpreting Media (BECI4301)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course aims to provide students with an awareness of media influences on contemporary society and culture, and the ability to understand and make use of selected media forms to communicate a message.|
|Moving Images (BECI4302)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course aims to provide students with a broad theoretical and operational understanding and awareness of the moving image as a communication medium in contemporary society and culture setting, and gain an ability to analyse and make use of selected media forms.|
|Collaborative Project (BECI4901)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course will prepare students for further academic study in their chosen pathway by providing creative project experience in both individual and collaborative contexts.|