- Current students
Please note: This programme is pending NZQA approval, however if you register your interest below, we'll be in touch with further updates.
This programme is ideal if you want to go on to Unitec’s New Zealand Diploma in Engineering or the Bachelor of Engineering Technology.
- 16 week programme full-time: Speed your way into the NZ Diploma in Engineering (Civil, Electrical or Electronic)* or the Bachelor of Engineering Technology (Civil, or Electrical);
- *Cross-credits into these programmes: this means you’ll need to gain fewer credits to gain this qualification;
- Gain the physics, algebra literacy, and engineering fundamentals requirements for entry into our construction programmes;
- Tailored content for the engineering bachelor and diploma: the content is highly relevant to the programme in which you want to enter;
- In this programme you’ll already be a part of an Engineering student body: you’ll be learning with other aspiring engineers;
- A mix of classroom sessions, practical activities, guest speakers, discussions, presentations and online learning;
- A chance to engage with Unitec's marae, a great setting to explore matarangi M?ori and the role of culture in communication.
Where to from here
Graduates of this programme can apply for further study in Unitec’s engineering programmes:
- New Zealand Diploma Engineering (Civil, Electrical, or Electronic): cross-credits available, any major
- Bachelor of Engineering Technology (Civil, or Electrical): with a B- average or above, you can apply for any major
Please note: International students who graduate will NOT be eligible for a post study work visa upon completion of this programme.
These admission requirements are pending NZQA approval.
For this programme, you will need:
- A minimum of 4 years’ secondary education;
- Be 16 years old by the time the programme starts;
- 48 NCEA credits or more at level 2 in four subjects, including:
- 12 credits or more in Mathematics preferably achievement standards in algebra, calculus or trigonometry and;
- 10 credits or more in English at level 1 or higher.
- If you haven't met the above NCEA requirements, you'll need one of the following:
- A relevant qualification at Level 3 on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework or equivalent qualifications (e.g. International Baccalaureate or Cambridge: 120 credits in best 4 subjects at AS level plus a D grade or higher in IGCSE English and a D grade or higher in AS Maths), or;
- Equivalent credits from appropriate trades training and/or demonstrated skills and experience, or;
- A B- average or above in the New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 3) Engineering pathway (FSTU 3926 Identity and Communication, FSTU 3922 Physics, FSTU3914 Maths Algebra, FSTU3912 Intro to Algebra), or;
- Attend a Skills Review session where your literacy and numeracy levels will be assessed so that we can recommend the programme most suited to your needs for successful study.
If English is not your first language, you will need one of the following:
- Academic IELTS level 5.5 with no band lower than 5, or
- The New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 (Applied).
Don't meet these requirements?
If you don’t meet the English criteria above, we have a range of English Language programmes available, depending on your current level of ability.
If you don’t meet these requirements, you may still apply under special or discretionary entrance, or try our New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 3).
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
Coming soon, pending NZQA approval.