- Current students
Please note: While this certificate programme is not equivalent to University Entrance, successful completion will allow you to progress to higher-level programmes.
This programme is ideal if you want to go on to higher-level study in art and design. It starts with a base in Identity and Communication, then starts to build your art and design knowledge, in both individual work and collaborative projects.
- Emphasis on practical skills and studio-based learning: you will be creating your art and design in a studio environment and participate in group critiques with your fellow students.
- Learn from Lecturers who are eager to share their industry experience with you.
- Access to Unitec's excellent communication studies and design facilities.
- A mix of classroom sessions, practical workshops, critique sessions, guest speakers, discussions, presentations and online learning.
- A chance to take classes in Unitec's marae, a great setting to explore Māori oratorical traditions and the role of culture in communication.
Where to from here
Upon successful completion of this programme you can go onto further study in Bachelor of Creative Enterprise programme.
Please note: International students who graduate will NOT be eligible for a post study work visa upon completion of this programme.
For this programme, you will need the following:
- A minimum of 4 years’ secondary education;
- Be 16 years old by the time the programme starts;
- A minimum total of 40 NCEA credits at level 2 in four subjects, including:
- A minimum of 12 English credits at level 1 or higher;
- University Entrance numeracy (or equivalent);
- If you haven't met the above NCEA requirements, you'll need one of the following:
- A relevant qualification at Level 3 on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework or equivalent qualifications (e.g. International Baccalaureate or Cambridge), or;
- The New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 3);
- Attend a Skills Review session, where students’ literacy and numeracy levels will be assessed.
English requirements for international students:
If English is not your first language, you will need one of the following:
- Academic IELTS level 5.5 with no band lower than 5, or;
- The New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 (Applied).
If you don’t meet the English criteria above, we have a range of English Language programmes available, depending on your current level of ability.
If you don’t meet these requirements, you may still apply under special or discretionary entrance, or try our New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 3).
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses including timetables, please click on the course names below.
|Art and Design Studio (BECI4101)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||Students will develop a confident learner identity and the art and design skills necessary for further academic study in their chosen pathway.|
|Processes, Procedures, Materials and Technology (BECI4102)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||Students will develop a confident learner identity and the art & design skills necessary for further academic study in their chosen pathway.|
|Collaborative Project (BECI4901)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course will prepare students for further academic study in their chosen pathway by providing creative project experience in both individual and collaborative contexts.|
|Identity and Communication (BPED4001)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course introduces pathway-related concepts and develops pathway-related academic skills in order to prepare students for further academic study in their chosen pathway.|