I cannot make it to Student Central, can it be sent to me via post?

Yes, it can be definitely done. Student can sometimes not make it to Student Central to get their Student ID card done due to work and other committments.

In such cases, students can email us the following documents :

  • Passport sized photo of yourself (no sunglasses or hats please)
  • A copy of your passport or driver's licence (to ensure your identity and spelling is correct)
  • A copy of your Unitec fee invoice to confirm your Student ID number and programme
  • A copy of your receipt or StudyLink Loan Entitlement Advice (LEA) letter.

These documents need to be emailed to us at photo@unitec.ac.nz or can be mailed to the following address:

Student Central 180
Attention: ID Cards
Unitec Institute of Technology
Freepost 3208
Private Bag 92025

We will verify the documents and  post the Student ID card back to you, please make sure that you mention in the email/post your student ID number and your mailing address and we will do the rest.