If your programme of study is full time and lasts 12 months or longer you may be able to work during the Christmas and New Year holiday period. You may also be able to work up to 20 hours a week during the academic year if:
  • Your programme of study at Unitec takes at least two academic years to complete, or
  • Your programme of study gives you a New Zealand qualification that would qualify for points under the Skilled Migrant Category, or
  • Your programme of study lasts at least six months and the main purpose of your programme of study is to develop English language skills, and your International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall band score is 5.0 or above (General or Academic Module), or
  • You are participating on an inbound exchange from one of Unitec’s participating partner institutions and your course is at least one academic year, or
  • You must work to meet course requirements for practical work experience.
    The information above is serves as a guideline only. Please visit the Immigration New Zealand website for the most up-to-date information.
Please note: If you want to work you must apply to Immigration New Zealand to have the conditions of your permit changed.

For information on working while studying and to register for casual, part-time, short-term and skilled course relevant work, visit the Student Job Search website. See the Unitec Career Centre for career guidance and advice, and listings of work related to your studies in New Zealand. 
There are great guides from the Human Rights Commission regarding work practice, applying for employment and employment law in NZ.

Finding a job in Auckland

From CV feedback to preparing you for an interview, the Unitec Career Centre can help you get to where you want to be.
We also recommend checking the Careers New Zealand website and the NZ Study + Work website for more information.

Tax and IRD numbers

Before you begin work you will need to get an Inland Revenue Department (IRD) number - your tax number. Once you start receiving income you are legally obliged to pay tax to the New Zealand government. This is usually deducted automatically from your wages.
Visit New Zealand Inland Revenue for more information on IRD numbers and income tax.