- Current students
- Under 25s
Business as ‘unusual’ is the new normal, and whole industries are changing in response to a series of unprecedented demands and issues. With each new disruption, organisations are faced with new challenges and opportunities. What will ensure their survival is employees who are on-the-ball, thrive on the unknown, and constantly upskilling.
This postgraduate certificate will extend and deepen your knowledge and capabilities in a specialised area of applied business: choose from business analytics, digital marketing, advanced HR, leadership and supply chain & logistics.
When you graduate you will have acquired additional skills and knowledge to gain employment in specialist roles or move into higher level roles with your existing employer. You will also be able to further your postgraduate study by enrolling in the Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Business.
One Time Offer – 50% off Tuition Fees!
We’re giving you the opportunity to upskill in 2021 by hugely discounting our tuition fee for this programme.
To take advantage of this special offer, you must complete all of the following by Friday, 26 February 2021:
- apply for your chosen programme; and
- provide all required documents; and
- meet eligibility; and
- accept Offer of Place.
The discount will be applied to your fees invoice on enrolment. Please see our full terms and conditions here.
- Acquire and update your business capabilities. No prior experience in business is needed.
- Applied learning. Utilise case studies and projects to apply theory and skills to real-world situations.
- Blended course delivery. Learn in a variety of different ways from facilitated workshops and interactive lectures to online learning, presentations and discussions, and self-directed learning.
- Boost your earning potential. New skills and technical knowledge will allow you to move up the ranks within an organisation.
- Flexible timetable. Weekday classes with online delivery options to support your learning.
- Further your knowledge and skills. Develop the business acumen and strategic skills you need to perform well at the highest levels within an organisation.
- Industry connections. Benefit from applied learning and collaborate with industry stakeholders in addition to the necessary theoretical learning.
- Progress into further postgraduate study. Graduates of this programme will be eligible to move into the Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Business.
- Small classes. Facilitated by expert lecturers with strong industry connections and experience.
- Upskill quickly. Take the next step in your business career by adding additional knowledge and skills to your kete of learning.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Business is a 60-credit programme that can be studied over one semester full-time or part-time options available. The programme is made up of 1 core compulsory course and three specialisation courses at Level 8.
Our specialisations reflect current industry practice and areas of high demand for employment and include:
Please note: In semester 1 and 2, 2021 this specialisation is only offered part-time.
When leveraged effectively, business analytics can be used to solve business problems, predict market trends, and increase efficiency, productivity, and revenue. In this specialisation, you’ll be introduced to the fundamental principles of data science and the techniques and tools of managing and using data in decision-making. You’ll gain an in-depth understanding of concepts, procedures and computing techniques for enterprise data mining with applications to different industries and explore storytelling in data analytics for improving organisational outcomes.
Marketing has always been about connecting with your audience at the right time and in the right place. In today’s business world, that place is online. In this specialisation, you’ll gain practical experience in developing inbound marketing and online advertising campaigns for an organisation. You’ll also learn how to use and analyse web data to optimise digital marketing tactics and support organisational decision-making.
Additional industry certifications you may be able to achieve include:
- Industry Certification in Inbound Marketing
- Industry Certification in Online Advertising
- Industry Certification in Web Analytics
Note: Additional course-related cost is applicable for BSNS8041 and BSNS8011 courses in this specialisation. $170 for Facebook certification Fee and $285 for Skillscope 360 Degree certification.
Leadership may not be a one size fits all, but the fundamentals remain the same. Strong business leadership drives organisational performance by creating an environment that inspires employees to do their best. In this specialisation, you’ll examine the practical skills and knowledge required to successfully lead and manage change, critically evaluate the skills, knowledge and abilities of effective leadership from a diverse range of cultural approaches, and learn how to build an inclusive culture that enhances employee and organisational performance.
Supply Chain & Logistics
Please note: In semester 1 and 2, 2021 this specialisation is only offered part-time.
Supply chain and logistics management is critical to business performance and customer satisfaction. This specialisation focuses on applying theoretical principles and analytical techniques to optimise and improve supply chain, distribution logistics and warehouse operations. This includes a group project where you’ll develop procurement strategy, policies and processes to improve an organisation’s supply chain, and using real-world business problems, gain a better understanding of warehousing and distribution operations.
Please note: In semester 1, 2021 this specialisation is only offered part-time.
Effective HR management helps bridge the gap between employee performance and an organisation’s strategic objectives. This specialisation focuses on data-driven people practices; how to implement modern HR practices that create cutting-edge employee experiences in the workplace, the application of technology to analyse employee data to improve performance, and what causes an organisation’s culture to develop and how to build an inclusive culture that enhances employee and organisational performance.
For this programme, you’ll need:
For applicants 20 years or older
- Provide sufficient evidence of aptitude or appropriate work or other life experience that would indicate a successful outcome in the qualification.
For applicants 16 years to under 20 years old
- A recognised Bachelor’s degree (or higher) with merit achievement deemed to be a grade average of B- or higher; or
- A professional qualification in a relevant discipline, recognised as being equivalent to merit achievement in a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
English Language Requirements
- 8 credits at NCEA Level 2 in English (4 in reading, 4 in writing)
- If English is not your first language, you’ll need one or more of the following:
- Achieved NCEA Level 3 and New Zealand University Entrance
- Provide evidence you satisfy our criteria for existing English proficiency
- Achieved at least one English proficiency outcome in the last two years
If you don’t meet the English criteria above, we have a range of English Language programmes available.
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses including timetables, please click on the course names below.
|Strategic IQ (BSNS8000)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course enables students to build the strategic thinking skills required to contribute to smarter and more nimble organisations able to adapt to new realities and build competitive advantages in highly competitive landscapes.|
|Leading and Managing Change (BSNS8010)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course will enable students to crucially examine the practical skills and knowledge required to successfully lead and manage change.|
|Developing Tomorrow’s Leaders (BSNS8011)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course critically evaluates the leadership skills, knowledge and abilities everyone needs to be a leader.|
|Building Workplace Culture (BSNS8012)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course will enable students’ will critically examine the nature of organisation culture and how to build an inclusive culture that enhances employee and organisational performance.|
|EX Employee Experience (BSNS8020)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course will enable students to understand the employee experience and use technology to design and implement best Human Resource (HR) practices to improve employee and organisational performance.|
|Workforce Analytics (BSNS8021)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course enables students to use employee and business data for more effective decision making to improve employee and organisational performance.|
|Data Analytics (BSNS8030)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course will enable students to understand the fundamental concepts of big data, its applications and apply analytical methods to solve data-driven organisational problems.|
|Analytics Storytelling (BSNS8031)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course will enable students to apply analytic techniques to communicate compelling business stories for improving organisational outcomes.|
|Inbound Marketing (BSNS8040)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course will enable students to understand inbound marketing strategy and use technology to implement inbound marketing initiatives in an organisation. Students will also achieve Industry Certification in Inbound Marketing.|
|Online Advertising (BSNS8041)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course will enable students to understand online advertising strategy and use technology to implement online advertising initiatives in an organisation. Students will also achieve Industry Certification in Online Advertising.|
|Web Analytics (BSNS8042)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course will enable students to use and analyse web data to optimize digital marketing and to support organisational decision making. Students will also achieve Industry Certification in Web Analytics.|
|Procurement Management (BSNS8050)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course will enable students to develop procurement strategy, policies and processes to optimise supply chain performance.|
|Supply Chain Design (BSNS8051)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course will enable students to apply methodologies and technologies to design effective supply chains of organisations.|
|Warehousing and Distribution (BSNS8052)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course will enable students to apply theoretical principles and analytical techniques to optimise distribution, logistics and warehouse operations.|
|Adaptive Business Intelligence (ISCG8043)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To critically review the application of business intelligence in industry, commerce, and research. To comprehensively examine a wide range of artificial intelligence (AI) technologies and their role in achieving adaptive business intelligence.|