- Current students
- Under 25s
This programme is not offered in 2022. Please consider the New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 4) - Business and Communication as an alternative. If you've already applied for this programme, we'll contact you about moving to a suitable alternative.
This programme is a great way to get your foot in the front door of a career in business administration. It’ll introduce you to the world of work in New Zealand and help you understand basic office work processes.
You’ll develop a broad range of administration knowledge and technological skills, enabling you to be an effective administration team member in any size business or community organisation.
Suitable for those new to employment, who need to upskill or people returning to the workforce, this qualification can help you gain a competitive edge and enhance your career opportunities in general office administration roles.
Here are the skills you’ll gain over six months:
- Select and apply business applications and technological devices to provide administrative services to meet business needs.
- Perform financial calculations and process data using software applications to produce information for business purposes.
- Maintain administrative systems and processes and make recommendations for improvements.
You’ll also develop the following people skills:
- Learn how to work independently and how to collaborate with your peers in order to contribute to team productivity and business performance.
- Select and apply customer service techniques to consistently meet
- stakeholder expectations.
- Communication skills to develop relationships with team members.
- Work professionally and ethically in a socially and culturally appropriate manner.
- Comply with internal policies, legislation, and other external requirements.
- Current work practices. Focus on learning and developing best practice skills so you graduate work ready.
- Flexible learning. Classroom-based sessions supplemented by full online resources and additional individual support when needed.
- Progress into further undergraduate study. Graduates of this programme will be eligible to move into the New Zealand Diploma in Business – Leadership and Management.
- Small classes. Facilitated by experienced lecturers who will be there to guide you every step along your learning journey.
- Student support services. As a student, you’ll be able to take advantage of our on-campus Student Support Services.
- Supportive learning environment. Become part of a close-knit group of students and staff who care about your success.
For this programme, you’ll need:
For applicants 20 years or older
- Provide sufficient evidence of aptitude or appropriate work or other life experience that would indicate a successful outcome in the qualification.
For applicants under 20 years
- 4 years’ secondary education
- 12 credits at NCEA Level 1 in two subjects; one subject must be English
English Language Requirements
If English is not your first language, you’ll need one or more of the following:
- Achieved 12 credits at NCEA Level 1 in English; or
- Provide evidence you satisfy our criteria for existing English proficiency; or
- Achieved at least one English proficiency outcome in the last two years such as IELTS
If you don’t meet the English criteria above, we have a range of English Language programmes available.
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses, please click on the course names below. Please note that our systems are updating with new course timetable information for 2023; please check back again soon.
Unitec is part of Te Pūkenga
On 1 October 2022 Unitec became part of Te Pūkenga. Find out more about Te Pūkenga and what this means for you.