- Current students
This programme is ideal if you already have a degree in another field of study, or have a minimum of 2 years of work experience in the business sector and want a formal qualification, or need a certification specializing in Operations Management.
This programme creates the framework for those with business experience wanting to move into management, focusing on business process improvement, supply chain management, quality, and sustainability. Learn how to ensure a business runs as well as it possibly can by focusing on creating smooth, efficient processes that meet customer expectations. The first semester is an intense applied study with the second focused on strategy and applying these core principles to a business model.
- A short, concentrated programme specializing in Operations Management.
- An area of management that is relevant in all organisations of all sizes, with particular focus on small to medium enterprises (SMEs).
- Learn about the theory and practical application of business process improvement, supply chain management, product quality, project management, sustainability and people management.
- Not just the theory; you'll put your learnings to work in a work placement in an organisation of your choice.
- If you decide you would like to study further, this qualification can be used to pathway into postgraduate business programmes like the Master of Business.
- 60 Credits of this programme can be cross credited towards Bachelor of Applied Technology - Transport Management programme.
For this programme, you will need the following:
1. A recognised degree, a professional qualification in a relevant discipline or the ability to demonstrate competencies equivalent to the above
2. If you're a graduate of Unitec's Bachelor of Business, you cannot be admitted to the Graduate Diploma in Business in the same specialisation in which you majored in the degree
3. A minimum of 8 credits at NCEA Level 2 in English (4 in reading, 4 in writing)
4. If English is your second language, you are required to have one or more of the following:
- Have achieved NCEA Level 3 and New Zealand University entrance
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): 50 with no score lower than 50
- Be able to provide evidence you satisfy our criteria for existing English proficiency
- Have achieved at least one English proficiency outcome in the last two years
Don't meet the requirements? We also accept:
- Provide sufficient evidence to be eligible for special or discretionary admission; or
- If you're seeking entry based on work experience, you will be required to demonstrate, in a written application, CV and attestation from suitable referees, that you have substantial professional experience in activities related to this programme, and/or be able to demonstrate equivalent competencies.
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses, please click on the course names below. Please note that our systems are updating with new course timetable information for 2021; please check back again soon.
|Introduction to Operations Management (BSNS5350)||15 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To enable students to apply concepts, tools and techniques of operations management to improve organisational performance.|
|Operations Management (BSNS6350)||15 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To conduct, and communicate the results of Business Process Improvement (BPI) investigations.|
|Organisational Strategies (BSNS7340)||15 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To enable students to participate in the development of corporate and functional strategies using market intelligence.|
|Applied Operations Management (BSNS7350)||15 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To enable students to participate effectively in the investigation of an operations-related programme for improvement and change.|
|Managing Projects (BSNS6162)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To enable students to participate effectively in a project team, to manage selves and others, and to scope and develop a project brief.|
|Managing Quality (BSNS6351)||15 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To develop student enquiry and investigation skill relating to quality assurance and quality improvement|
|Supply Chain Management (BSNS6352)||15 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To manage efficient, effective and sustainable supply chain processes and procedures incorporating inventory control strategies and systems.|
|Internship Based Learning (BSNS7015)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To provide students with the opportunity to integrate their learning across their programme of study and to apply theoretical and practical business skills to an approved project and work objectives in industry. To critically reflect upon the processes undertaken in completing the project and work objectives so as to inform their future personal and professional development.|
|Business Analytics (BSNS7162)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To enable students to analyse and apply business information to support organisational decision making.|
|International Business (BSNS7360)||15 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To enable students to examine the drivers and processes shaping the global economic environment of the twenty first century.|
|Sustainability in Business (BSNS7730)||15 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To engage students in the critique and analysis of issues affecting sustainability of business organisations|