In this certificate you will gain the internationally relevant skills and knowledge, which are transferable across a range of disciplines within IT and are essential for working in a number of entry-level support roles including business support or retail roles, and some roles in the IT profession.
Improve your computer literacy and problem solving skills. Learn in small, interactive groups and further your knowledge of current software applications.
- This programme is great preparation for the Bachelor of Computing Systems
- A good mix of practical and theory based learning
- Flipped classroom model: class time will primarily be used for planning, problem-solving, hands on experimentation, discussion and feedback
- You will be encouraged to use time outside the classroom for individual reflection and researching topics and ideas
- Extra maths support: if you need help with maths, we provide extra tutorials
For this programme, you will need the following:
1. Be 16 years old by the time the programme starts
2. A minimum of 4 years secondary education
3. A minimum of 32 credits at NCEA Level 1 including 10 numeracy and 12 English credits
4. If English is not your first language, you will need one or more of the following:
- Have achieved NCEA Level 3 and New Zealand University entrance
- Be able to provide evidence you satisfy our criteria for existing English proficiency
- Have achieved at least one English proficiency outcome in the last two years
Don’t meet these requirements? We also accept:
- A pass in two subjects in New Zealand School Certificate; or
- Unitec Certificate in Foundation Studies: Whitinga (Level 2) in a relevant pathway; or
- New Zealand Certificate in Computing (Intermediate User) (Level 3); or
- Provide sufficient evidence to be eligible for special or discretionary admission.
Recommended: hold appropriate assessment standards in Digital Technologies Level 2.
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses including timetables, please click on the course names below.
|Information Technology Foundations (HTCS4601)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course will introduce students to the essential knowledge and concepts of computer hardware and software resources, applications, database, and user-experience needed to provide organisations with IT support.|
|Web Design Foundations (HTCS4602)||15.0 credits (0.125 EFTS)||This course introduces students to the essential knowledge and concepts of user interface design and web application development needed to contribute to team development of web sites.|
|Web Application Project (HTCS4603)||30.0 credits (0.25 EFTS)||This course will further develop the student’s knowledge and concepts of user interface design and web application development needed to participate in team development of web applications.|