- 22.5 (0.188 EFTS)
- This course enables the student to develop best practice skills for the care of captive wild animals in a zoo context.
- Pre-requisites / Co-requisites:
- Students must be admitted to the New Zealand Certificate in Animal Management programme to enrol in this course. Co-requisite: NSCI5742. Students must enrol in both NSCI4740-SA & NSCI4740-SB to complete the course.
- Topics include:
Use of diet sheets, safe and hygienic preparation of food, food presentation, use of enrichment, production and euthanasia of feed animals, use of cleaning equipment, mixing, use and storage of chemical agents
use of PPE, maintenance of enclosure integrity, pest sign, pest identification, pest control measures, waste disposal, safety checks for animal movement, process and procedures for transfer in and out of enclosures
Signs of health and ill-health, assessment of normal and abnormal behaviour; biodata collection; faecal sampling; application of medicines/vaccination.
Entry and Exit of, and Movement within Enclosures
SOPs, pre-entry checks, use of protective equipment, principles of safe movement within enclosures, exit procedures and checks, hazard identification
Records and Records Keeping
Records systems for zoos; Use of records for animal management; ZIMS; Data input; Report retrieval.
Animal Emergencies in Zoos
Emergency types; Situation assessment; SOPs; Radio use; Prioritisation of actions; Safety during emergencies; Communication; Post-emergency protocols.
Professional Behaviour and Attitudes
Time and task management skills, Written and oral interpersonal communication,
Barriers to communication; Listening skills; Contributing to team; PowerPoint use; Oral presentation skills.
- Choose your class for this course from the option(s) below. You will need to attend all the sessions in that class to complete the course. Where more than one class number is shown, choose one of them and attend all sessions within that class number. (Note: If a class is held in different locations at the same time, you only need to attend all the sessions in one of the locations.)
- There are no classes on public holidays.
You need to attend all sessions of this class as listed below.
|From – To||Session||Day||Time||Campus (Room)|
|13 Feb 18 - 13 Feb 18||Lecture||Tuesday||08:00 - 12:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|Tuesday||12:00 - 16:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|Tuesday||16:00 - 18:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|14 Feb 18 - 14 Feb 18||Lecture||Wednesday||08:00 - 12:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|Wednesday||12:00 - 16:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|Wednesday||16:00 - 18:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|15 Feb 18 - 15 Feb 18||Lecture||Thursday||12:00 - 16:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|Thursday||08:00 - 12:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|Thursday||16:00 - 18:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|16 Feb 18 - 16 Feb 18||Lecture||Friday||12:00 - 16:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|Friday||08:00 - 12:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|Friday||16:00 - 18:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|17 Feb 18 - 17 Feb 18||Lecture||Saturday||08:00 - 12:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|Saturday||12:00 - 16:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|Saturday||16:00 - 18:00||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|14 Jun 18 - 14 Jun 18||Lecture||Thursday||13:00 - 17:00||Mt Albert (115-1008)|
|Thursday||17:00 - 18:00||Mt Albert (115-1008)|
|15 Jun 18 - 15 Jun 18||Lecture||Friday||08:00 - 12:00||Mt Albert (115-1008)|
|Friday||16:00 - 18:00||Mt Albert (115-1008)|
|Friday||12:00 - 16:00||Mt Albert (115-1008)|
|16 Jun 18 - 16 Jun 18||Lecture||Saturday||10:00 - 14:00||Mt Albert (115-1008)|
|Saturday||14:00 - 18:00||Mt Albert (115-1008)|
|Lab||Saturday||08:00 - 12:00||Mt Albert (115-3009)|
- Note: This course is offered as part of New Zealand Certificate in Animal Management (Captive Wild Animals).