- Current students
As an International Student, you may be entitled to a refund if you have had a change in circumstances.
The effective date for processing of any withdrawal or any request for refund will be the date the fully completed application on the appropriate form is received by Student Central or, in the case of International Students, by the International Refund Team.
Note: Applications for withdrawal may also be accepted in formats equivalent to those outlined in “Advice in Writing” (see definitions).
Students who apply for a place in a Course/programme remain liable for fees unless they withdraw in writing prior to the 10% start date (in which case the Student is entitled to a refund of 100% less a $500 admin fee).
Summary Table of International Student Refunds
|Reason for Refund||Document Required||Dates Received for Completed Refund||Cancellation Fee|
|No longer wish to study at Unitec||Log on to My Portal and under useful links click on Change Enrolment and Withdraw||Within 14 days after the programme start date||10% of Tuition Fee|
|Initial student visa not granted (new students)||Log on to My Portal and under useful links click on Change Enrolment and withdraw. You will be contacted to provide an official letter from INZ indicating the rejection of student visa application||Within 14 days of the student receiving notification from INZ.||$500 admin fee|
|Extension of student visa not granted (Returning Student)||Log on to My portal and under useful links click on Change Enrolment and withdraw. You will be contacted to provide an official letter from INZ indicating the rejection of student visa application. However, if an extension is not granted on the basis of poor attendance, grade or late visa application (section 61), no refund will be paid.||Within 14 days of the student receiving notification from INZ.||$500 admin fee.|
|Unitec programme unable to proceed||Log on to My portal and under useful links click on Change Enrolment and withdraw.||Within 14 days of the student receiving notification from Unitec.||100%|
|Transfer to another institution||Log on to My portal and under useful links click on Change Enrolment and withdraw. You will be contacted to supply your student visa copy for the other institution||Within 14 days after the programme start date||10% of tuition fee|
|Permanent Residence granted||Passport and visa label required with an email to email@example.com||Within 14 days of the student receiving the visa label from immigration||See note under "Conditions of Refund" E|
|Summer School||Log on to My portal and under useful links click on Change Enrolment and withdraw.||Before completion of 10% of classes||10% of tuition|
Refunds for International Students
- All applications for refunds must be on the International Application for Refund Form.
- International Students who are enrolled for a full year Non-semesterised Programme must pay the full year tuition fee in one instalment prior to commencement of study.
- An International Student in a Semesterised Programmes who gains Permanent Residency Visa will not receive a refund of fees for the semester in which residency is granted, unless they provide the documents required 14 days prior to the programme start date. However, they will be treated as a New Zealand Permanent Resident for the following semester(s) and refunded any international fees paid beyond the semester in which residency was granted.
- International Students who wish to defer to the following semester must notify International no less than two weeks prior to the Programme commencement. Students who meet these timeframes will be eligible for a refund.
- Summer School: If a current Unitec Student withdraws before 10% of completion of Class, then a refund of 90% of the tuition fee will be given.
- There will be no refund for Summer School for a new Student or Student from another institution. There is no automatic right to a refund of fees if a Student changes his/her mind about studying at Unitec.
- If an International Student wishes to withdraw from their Programme and an International Application for Refund is received by the International Refund Team within 14 days after the programme Start Date; a refund of 90% of tuition fees will be given. There will be no refund for International Applications for Refunds received after this time without valid cause.
- Where an International Student wishes to transfer to another institution and has Immigration New Zealand (INZ) approval to do so and has applied for an International Application for Refund to the International Refund Team no less than 14 days after the programme Start Date; a 90% of the tuition fees will be refunded. There will be no refund for International Applications for Refunds received after this time. The refund will either be sent directly to the institution or, on sighting a Student visa for the other institution, the refund can be given to the Student in New Zealand. INZ will be notified and your visa cancelled
- If an International Student on a Unitec Student visa fails to enrol there will be no refund for the period, the visa was granted.
- If a student has started study but not maintained or obtained a student visa, then enrolment will be cancelled and no refund granted
- International Students with a section 61 (late visa application) where INZ require the enrolment to be cancelled will not be granted a refund.
- Full refunds will be given where:
- INZ has refused to grant an initial Student visa for study in New Zealand; or
- INZ has refused to extend a Student visa; or
- Unitec is unable to proceed with the Programme or Classes offered.
- All refunds will either be sent to the agent (in the home country if applicable) on sighting evidence that the Student concerned has returned to their home country, or to the Student in New Zealand on sighting a changed visa (e.g. Visitors Visa or Work Permit). In all instances, INZ will be notified.
- All refunds will be paid in NZ dollars, and:
- Sent to the applicant’s agent on sighting evidence that the Student concerned has returned to their home country; or
- Sent to the Student in New Zealand on sighting a changed visa e.g. Visitors Visa or Work Permit; or
- Sent to another institution, if requested in writing with the applicant’s signature and supported by evidence of an offer of place by the other institution and a Student Visa for that institution, or
- Under special circumstances paid directly into a nominated bank account; and
- In all instances, Immigration New Zealand (INZ) will be notified.
- The General Manager International or their representative may approve refunds on a compassionate basis in exceptional circumstances (such as serious illness, etc.). The amount of the refund will be at the discretion of the General Manager International in consultation with the Head of Department or their delegate.