- Current students
- Under 25s
This practical hands-on micro-credential is ideal for anyone who has no or very little MIG welding knowledge or experience and also for those wanting a refresher in this specific type of welding. The programme is designed to introduce learners to, welding theory, how to set up the equipment, and health and safety. With the majority of time spent on practical welding, learners will inspect welds for defects and quality.
After completing this programme, you could be able to enter into an apprenticeship or seek employment in the associated welding/engineering profession or go on further engineering study in the New Zealand Certificate in Mechanical Engineering (NZCME) Level 3 full-time programme. Students will gain credits toward the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) unit standards and receive a Unitec Certificate of Attendance
In this programme, you will learn about
Safety precautions and practice, set-up and use of equipment, material preparation, theory, and practical practice. Apply welding process to safely weld joints in accordance with industry standards and practice. Identify and repair welding defects in accordance with industry standards and practice.
- Quality assurance
To be eligible for admission to this micro-credential, all applicants must:
- Be 16 years of age on the date of the commencement of this micro-credential, or provide a completed Early Release Exemption form,
- Have a minimum of three years of secondary education or equivalent.
English Language Requirements:
A minimum of eight credits at NCEA Level 1 in English.
If English is not your first language you will also need one or more of the following:
- Have achieved NCEA Level 3 and New Zealand University Entrance
- Be able to provide evidence you satisfy our criteria for existing English proficiency such as IELTS
- Have achieved at least one English proficiency outcome in the last two years
More information on these requirements is available on the NZQA website
Please note: To apply to this programme you must be a New Zealand citizen/resident
No Fee* under TTAF
(*As part of the government’s Targeted Training and Apprenticeships Fund (TTAF) to help upskill workers in roles critical to the economy, this micro-credential has no fees* until 31of December 2022. Click here for a list of the programmes that are covered by this scheme.)
This is a 10-week programme
- Location: Building 307-1064, Mataaho, Unitec Institute of Technology, Carrington Road, Mt Albert, Auckland.
- Start Date: 23rd of May every Monday and Tuesday for 10 weeks
- Time: 5.00 PM to 8.30 PM
How to apply
To apply for this micro-credential please click the below “Apply Now”.
Minimum Enrolment Number
Maximum Enrolment Number