- Current students
- Under 25s
Unitec is going to permanently close this program as it is being phased out by New Zealand Qualifications Authority. Please apply for the New Zealand Diploma of Construction as an alternative option.
Gain the essential knowledge and skills required to be a competent supervisor of personnel for a specific trade or for construction projects. If you're a licensed building practitioner or hold a trade qualification at Level 3 or above, this programme is the next step in your career pathway towards supervising people or teams.
You will learn how to:
Implement regulatory processes for site personnel
- Administer and complete construction programming for a construction project
- Apply principles of supervision in a construction related workplace
- Develop effective time management, communication, interpersonal and conflict management resolution skills when supervising in a construction related context
- For current or future supervisors
- You can complete the certificate in 6 months
- Study employment relationships and agreements
- Prepare site safety plans and other real-world project applications
The certificate can help you with the following career options:
- Business Owner/Operator
- Construction Assistant
- Construction Co-ordinator
- Contract Administrator
- Assistant Project Manager
With further training and/or experience graduates may be able to work in residential or commercial construction as:
- Main Contract Supervisors
- Site Managers
- Project Managers
- Contract Managers
Qualification and what next
Once you’ve successfully completed this programme you’ll receive the Level 4 qualification: New Zealand Certificate in Construction Related Trades (Supervisor).
From here you'll be able to work in supervisory roles in residential or commercial construction.
As a graduate of this certificate, you may wish to undertake further study including the New Zealand Certificate in Construction Related Trades (Main Contract Supervision) (Level 5) or diploma or degree level qualifications in the field of Construction Management, Quantity Surveying, Architectural Technology, or any other building and construction related fields.
For this programme, you will need the following:
1. Level 3 or 4 Planning and Construction related qualification
2. If English is not your first language, you will need one or more of the following:
- Have achieved NCEA Level 3 and New Zealand University Entrance
- Be able to provide evidence you satisfy our criteria for existing English proficiency
- Have achieved at least one English proficiency outcome in the last two years
Don't meet the requirements? We also accept:
- Evidence of equivalent knowledge and skills
- Provide evidence of special or discretionary admission
For more information, download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses including timetables, please click on the course names below.
|Supervision in a Construction Related Workplace (CIBC4135)||10.0 credits (0.083 EFTS)||To enable the student to apply knowledge and skills in relation to site supervision duties and quality assurance procedures for a construction site operation.|
|Construction Related Communications in the Workplace (CIBC4136)||17.0 credits (0.142 EFTS)||To enable the student to apply a range of personal skills relevant to supervision in a construction related context.|