- 7.5 (0.063 EFTS)
- To enable students to apply the principles and practices of anaesthetic, analgesic and surgical procedures in the role of the veterinary nursing assistant.
- Pre-requisites / Co-requisites:
- Students must be admitted to the New Zealand Certificate in Animal Technology programme to enrol in this course. Co-req: NSCI5720. Students must enrol in both NSCI5711-SA & NSCI5711-SB to complete this course.
- Topics include:
- Anaesthetic procedures from booking to discharge. Health and safety associated with anaesthetic procedures.
- Basic monitoring of anaesthesia.
- Anaesthetic and surgical equipment identification, function and maintenance (including assembly of the anaesthetic machine)
- Introduction to commonly used anaesthetic and analgesic agents, including common side effects.
- Fluid therapy (including physiology of, types, equipment and monitoring)
- Drug calculations and calculation of intravenous (IV) fluid therapy rates.
- Pain management (including recognition of pain, and pharmacological and non-pharmacological pain management)
- Choose your class for this course from the option(s) below. You will need to attend all the sessions in that class to complete the course. Where more than one class number is shown, choose one of them and attend all sessions within that class number. (Note: If a class is held in different locations at the same time, you only need to attend all the sessions in one of the locations.)
- There are no classes on public holidays.
You need to attend all sessions of this class as listed below.
|From – To||Session||Day||Time||Campus (Room)|
|13 Feb 18 - 13 Feb 18||Lecture||Tuesday||10:30 - 13:00||Mt Albert (115-1028)|
|14 Feb 18 - 14 Feb 18||Lecture||Wednesday||13:30 - 15:30||Mt Albert (115-1028)|
|15 Feb 18 - 15 Feb 18||Lecture||Thursday||10:30 - 13:00||Mt Albert (115-1028)|
|11 Jun 18 - 11 Jun 18||Lab||Monday||08:30 - 10:30||Mt Albert (115-3010)|
|Lecture||Monday||10:30 - 13:00||Mt Albert (115-3010)|
|Monday||10:30 - 13:00||Mt Albert (112-4021)|
|13 Jun 18 - 13 Jun 18||Lecture||Wednesday||10:30 - 13:00||Mt Albert (115-1007)|
|14 Jun 18 - 14 Jun 18||Lecture||Thursday||13:30 - 15:30||Mt Albert (115-1007)|
- Note: This course is offered as part of New Zealand Certificate in Animal Technology (Veterinary Nursing Assistant).