This programme is no longer available for new enrolments. If you have already applied, we will contact you.
New programmes are currently under development for 2018 delivery, this includes the programmes listed below. Let us know if you want to be notified when more information is available or when you can apply for these programmes.
- New Zealand Certificate in Plumbing (Level 4)
- New Zealand Certificate in Gasfitting (Level 4)
- New Zealand Certificate in Drainlaying (Level 4)
If you're considering a pre-trade drainlaying qualification, please see the New Zealand Certificate in Plumbing, Gasfitting and Drainlaying (Level 3).
Are you working in the drainlaying industry, and want to gain industry registration? The National Certificate in Drainlaying gives you a thorough grounding in stormwater intake and outfall structures, sub-soil drainage, retention tanks, surface water collection systems, septic tanks, drains, access chambers, drainage systems maintenance, and trade equipment and power tools.
As all applicants must be employed in the industry it's essential that you complete an Acknowledgement of Training and Education Responsibility form and have it signed by your employer.
- Unitec is the only tertiary provider in Auckland offering both theory and practical courses in drainlaying to enable you to become a registered drainlayer.
- Follows the syllabus required by the NZ Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board.
- A mix of theory classes and practical assessment.
- Highly qualified staff, many of whom have owned and operated their own businesses.
- Strong ties with the plumbing, gasfitting and drainlaying industries.
Prepare for success
Well-prepared students have the best chance of success in their studies, so we've put together a free online guide so you can refresh and sharpen some of the skills you'll use on this programme.
Once you've successfully completed this programme pathway you'll receive a National Certificate in Drainlaying.
For this programme, you will need the following:
1. A minimum of 12 credits at NCEA Level 1 in two different subjects, one subject must be English
2. Be at least 16 years old by the time the programme begins
3. A minimum of four years secondary education
4. You must be employed in the industry and hold a current limited license for Drainlaying issued by the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board
5. If English is your second language, you will need one or more of the following:
- Have achieved NCEA Level 3 and New Zealand University entrance
- Be able to provide evidence you satisfy our criteria for existing English proficiency
- Have achieved at least one English proficiency outcome in the last two years
Don’t meet the requirements? We also accept:
- A relevant qualification at Level 2 on the NZQF or above or an equivalent qualification; or
- Provide sufficient evidence to be eligible for special or discretionary admission.
- If you are not employed in the industry, you may apply to enrol in the theoretical courses as a Certificate of Proficiency.
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses including timetables, please click on the course names below.
|Health & Safety (BUIT2102)||15 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To provide students with the knowledge and skills to work safely and to comply with Health and Safety requirements for the drainlaying industry.|
|Customer Service, Ethics and Consumer Law (BUIT2103)||15 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To provide students with the knowledge and skills to work ethically and legally in the provision of customer service.|
|Legislation, Codes and Standards 1 (BUIT3161)||15 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To provide students with basic knowledge of legislation, codes of practice and standards relevant to the drainlaying industry.|
|Practical Training (BUIT4102)||15 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To provide students with the practical skills needed to work as drainlayers.|
|Practical Assessment (BUIT4103)||15 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To assess student’s practical skills to ensure they are fit to work as drainlayers.|
|Legislation, Codes and Standards 2 (BUIT4162)||15 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To provide students with specialised knowledge of legislation, codes of practice and relevant standards relevant to the drainlaying industry.|
|Trade Science and Practice 1 (BUIT4171)||15 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To provide students with foundation knowledge regarding drainlaying science and practice.|
|Trade Science and Practice 2 (BUIT4172)||30 credits (0.25 EFTS)||To provide students with specialised knowledge regarding drainlaying science and practice.|
|Plan Reading and Pricing (BUIT4181)||15 credits (0.125 EFTS)||To provide students with plan, drawing and pricing knowledge and skills enabling them to work effectively as drainlayers.|